Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window xp wont load

• Please log in to reply

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was in the internet going to log in in my email acoount when my computer froze, i tried rebooting it by shutting the cpu power when i turned it on again the sony logo and the intel logo came up but right after went to a blue/black screen with a cursor blinking on the upper side of the screen. what can i do to get my computer work again without loosing data? Thank you

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello isisrocco and welcome to Geeks To Go.

First things first before proceeding with what I want you to do use the following to backup your data before proceeding onto the next step

• Please download Puppy Linux from here
  • Please download and install IMGBurn from here
  • Burn the Puppy Linux CD ISO using IMGBurn, to do this start IMGBurn and select the option which says Write image file to disc
  • Browse for the Puppy Linux CD ISO (Will look like a folder with a magnifying glass
  • Then hit the button at the bottom (Image file to CD)
  • Wait for it to complete the burning process

• Boot the computer up and boot off the CD (If it doesn't go into the BIOS and look for boot device priority and make CD/DVD number 1, hard drive second)
  • To get access to the BIOS press F2 and DEL alternatively
  • Hit enter and follow the prompts till ya get to the main desktop - (Please note this is a live CD and will not require any installation)
  • When on the desktop you will see hard drive icons at the bottom (example sda1,sda2 etc...)
  • If you have one hard drive installed it will probably be sda2, however you will soon know by the folders you will see
  • Make sure you have a USB memory pen ready and copy your data onto the memory pen

When your data is backed up please do a repair installation. Details on how to do this can be found here

Edited by wizzy2k5, 01 February 2011 - 05:11 PM.

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello wizzy, thanks for trying helping me...i cant make the cd to back up my data the computer im using right is a netbook no cd/dvd drives. what do I do now?
thanks loly

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried rebooting and clicking F8 to get to the advanced boot menu where you highlight and try Last Known Good Configuration That Worked?

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes i did f8 but it pops this
please slect boot device:
sm-pioneer dvd-rw dvr-107d
1st floppy drive
pm-wdc wd2000bb-98dwa0
i dont know what to choose

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Its seems that your computer is slightly different. It is usually F8 for Last known good configuration however out of interest try F5 as this was the button for my last computer.

Regards

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
may be i tried nothing on f2 pops up something about bios setup utility, under the advanced tab there are 2 options: cpu configuration, onboard devices configuration.

Edited by isisrocco, 02 February 2011 - 12:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the boot menu this is what you want to choose.

pm-wdc wd2000bb-98dwa0

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for all the help...but it seems that could be something more serious. I did select the divece on boot the one start pm....but it goes back to the black/blue page with the blinking cursor. what next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to provide system info.
Laptop or desktop
Name brand, make and model
If custom built what mobo make and model
Do you have a Os installation disk or system recovery disk?

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello its a desktop sony vaio digital studio pcv-rz50 c/g series
i have windows xp...thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By black\blue page are you suggesting a BSOD or a black screen with the blinking curser in the upper left corner?

isisrocco

isisrocco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
black screen with bliking curser on the upper lest cornerof the screen. I would like not loosing my data. thank you

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
To me now this seems like the options which might be causing the problem

• system corruption (serious) but can be fixed
  • No operating system installed (been deleted)
With the second one however you should get an error message. Another it maybe the hard drive on its way out but that is a guess I won't be able to tell unless diagnostics are ran through it. A repair installation could fix it however I cannot be 100% certain that it will do. A format will cure any software releated issues but if its hardware then there is no point. I would reccomend if possible getting a cheap CD/DVD writer as these are the problems with netbooks. If you can get someone to back your data up on another computer as at the moment it may look like you may lose it at sometime.

How to perform a repair installation]

To do the above fixes you will need a CD/DVD writer which you may need to buy to get the problem fixed.

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another option I am including below in case wizzy's doesn't work for you.

Go HERE to read about this and how to fix.