Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 wont boot somtimes.

• Please log in to reply

Aussietim

Aussietim

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hey all, i have looked in the PC wont boot section and i havent found a resolution for my pc issue.

The details:
So i cant remember any event in where i changed a setting or installed a product, this is a new comp (still in warrenty) but the manufacture wants to wipe everything and i'll pefer to not have that done.
I turn off one night as i normally do, the next arvo i press the start button as usual then the power button lights up (as usual) nothing happend on the screen or the lights on my keyboard dont come on also there is no start up beep (but can hear harddisk's running).
I think What the... is going on, i hold power button to off, then try again and it works fine, the lights light up and the start up beep happens etc.
This happens a few times and i have no idea how to fix it.
then after about a month of putting it off fixing it one day it just wont start properly and after about 3 weeks of been too busy to take it to the manufacture, i have a friend over and i am using the old school comp and she asks why its not working and i was like i'll show you what it dose, i press the button and it starts up like nothing happend! i was so pissed about it!
I've managed not to turn it off since then (i use sleep when i finish using it) and its fine with using sleep. I can click the restart button via start and it turn off and restarts normally, but i just cant turn off via start then turn on via the power button.
I have no idea what is going on?
Can you please help?

The Rig:
Gateway FX6840
8GB RAM
Core i7

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
Cheer guys, Tim

Advertisements

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It maybe the PSU failing or a loose connection.

how old is the computer, is it still under warranty? If not take a look inside and check all cables are connected securely and if you have a spare PSU kicking about you may want to try that to make sure.

also reseat G/card/Ram etc they maybe just dislodged slightly.

If you manager to get into windows from the start menu search box type perfmon /report and hit enter this will generate a report then look for any issues.

let us know how you get on.

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have no idea what a PSU is.
It is still under warrenty which is kinda why i dont really want to open the back up and void the warrenty just incase i do have to fix it under warrenty.
I did the perfmon /report thing, i have the screen infront of me and to my untrained eye the only thing it is telling me is that my mouse hasnt got the correct driver or something like that.
is there anything in particular that i am ment to look at?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Backup your data and get them to fix it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Backup your data and get them to fix it.

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry, the PSU is the power supply unit, it is where the power cable gets plugged in.

Ok the report, you should look for the diagnostics results and use the dop down menu to view;

Posted Image

Also if it is still under warranty i would contact your manufactuer as i think this could a hardware issue.

also check out the device manager too by typing in start menu search box "device manager" and hitting enter and check for yellow exclamation marks.

Bugsy

Bugsy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Double post/ cause lagging

sorry

Edited by Bugsy, 02 February 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Troy - Thanks for the suggestion, i was thinking it could maybe be a software issue and if i backup and put everything back on wouldnt that issue still be there?

Bugsy - i have attached a screen from the peformance thing
PSU- gotcha, yes i did check that (outside) and it is in correctley
Nothing is exclemated in the device manager

Cheers for the help so far guys

Aussietim

Aussietim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
[bleep] my screen didnt show, let me try again..

Attached Thumbnails

• perfomance.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No. If you are pressing the power button and nothing happens sometimes, it is hardware and the manufacturer needs to fix it.