Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply

mamodeo18

mamodeo18

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When adding/removing programs I accidently removed one for sound. So now there is no sound on my laptop and I don't have a cd to instal it with. Is there anyway I can restore it without the cd? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 and operates on Windows XP.

Edited by mamodeo18, 03 February 2011 - 10:04 AM.

Advertisements

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Start menu-right click my computer-properties-hardware-device manager, and look for sound, video & controllers. Is there any type of yellow icon? Click on it and click update drivers, if the driver is not on your computer, you have an option to use the web too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You provided no make or model of the laptop for us to locate the original drivers for you. :D

mamodeo18

mamodeo18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gambit, I tried updating but it was only updates for anti-viruses. I tried looking it up on Google but the hardware I need I can't find because I dont know what hardware I am missing. But there is one yellow icon. It has an exclamation point in yellow on it. It's called PCI Device.

Edited by mamodeo18, 03 February 2011 - 10:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sound driver located Here
You want the one dated for 11-06-2007

mamodeo18

mamodeo18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried downloading the needed software rshaffer61 but at the end of it and error came up saying "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the onboard audio may have been disabled in the bios.

OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Audio entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.