Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook - Windows Could Not Start

• Please log in to reply

ruisliptiger

ruisliptiger

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello

A Friend of mine who is not particularly tech savvy was about to give up on her netbook as broken but I think it's salvagable. I'm hoping somebody on here can help me out.

When you turn the netbook on it comes up with the following message(Black background/White Font)

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

On pressing 'r' the computer reboots before bringing you back to the same screen and message.
If I press 'r' during boot up I end up with a blank black screen and have to turn the Netbook off and on again to get rid of it.
I have access to the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility by pressing '2' but can see nothing unusual within my limited knowledge of it.
Or I can access a boot menu by pressing '0'. This gives me the following options.

Hard Drive
CD/DVD/CD-RW (Obviously being a netbook it has none of these drives)
Removable Devices
Network Boot
Diagnostics

I have accessed the Diagnostics tools, the results of which I will display below.

In short though I presume parts of the hard drive have failed. This must just happen to be the part of the drive which has windows stored on it.
Problems - OBviously there is no CD Drive. Additionally the Netbook had a legit version of Windows XP running on it. Unfortunately the Pass Key(or whatever they call it) is on a sticker on the bottom of the Netbook and has been rubbed of through general wear so as to become unreadable. My friend has not written the code down elsewhere :D

Results of Diagnostics.

Test System

Express Test

Error

Error Code 0F00:1344
Msg Disk_0-Block 12928184:Can't read,replace disk or remove Write Protection

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.
Do you want to continue testing?

The Device being tested was: IDE Disk S/N=STM00003732E
The type of test was: Confidence Test

The above message the keeps repeatedly popping us with the only dfference being the block number. I must have counted at least 50 before I abandoned the testing. No other type of error was detected.

FYI The Netbook is a Dell Inspiron 910. The Proccessor is an Intel Atom.

That's about all I can tell for now. Hope someone can help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drive is screwed.

If it's under warranty, claim under it. Otherwise you'll need to replace the drive, beg or borrow a USB CD drive and put a new copy of Windows on.