Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can`t connect to internet after reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Had to reinstall windows, and the last time I did this, I had no problem connecting to the internet to update the drivers after install.

unplugged and replugged everything, and repair connection says, failed to query tcp/ip settings.

Comcast highspeed

1394 net adapter- is the ethernet

Network adapter is fine in device manager.

Whats not is other devices-
PCI bridge device
PCI device
PCI simple communications controller
SM bus Controller
Unknown device
Video controller (VGA compatible

All have !? in yellow

But I can`t seem to reinstall or update the drivers.

Edited by Gambit66, 02 February 2011 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Please can you goto the device manager for me and report any yellow marks. To do this please do the following

Click start and goto run
In the run box type devmgmt.msc and hit enter

If everything is ok there try the following

Click start and goto run
In the run box type notepad.exe
Paste the following code below into notepad and save as reset.bat

Please save everything before running this file as it will restart your computer automatically

@echo off

ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset
shutdown -r -t 0 

If you are still having issues after this please reply back to this topic.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 02 February 2011 - 02:17 PM.

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay I`ll try that.

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry wizzy, you must of missed my first post, as I edited it with the device manager problems. but here they are.

PCI bridge device
PCI device
PCI simple communications controller
SM bus Controller
Unknown device
Video controller (VGA compatible

All have !? in yellow

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
First do the above before proceeding and I have now seen the update you have provided. Do the above and do this afterwards.

Download WinAudit from here click the audit button at the top and let it scan your computer then save the report as formatted text from the save type as box and then attach it to your next reply. Not post the contents attach the file as the file is quite long.

Thanks

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Update- Problem with connecting to internet was the PCI bridge connection & PCI Bus error in device manager.
Apparently the drivers for that are from the motherboard drivers, since the Ethernet connection & net adapter plug are part of the motherboard, and not a card. Why they did not load from the original OS (windows XP MCE rollup 2) upon reinstall, or when I loaded my older OS XP from this computer, it`s not clear to me.
As I said before in this post - http://www.geekstogo...alware-related/
When I had to reinstall on her computer (Gateway GT5220) the first time, her OS disc version didn`t cut it, so at that time I used my reinstall CD & OS (Windows XP) from my computer (Gateway E-4000), and as I don`t recall having issues with device manager at that time. I believe I connected to the internet, and updated everything without a hitch.
Well regardless of which OS I Loaded, the motherboard drivers for the 1394 net adapter loaded, but not for the bridge connection or bus. 1394 net adapter I know that is for connecting to the internet via other computers. Well finally, I went to the gateway site and downloaded the motherboard driver for her computer. Burned it to disc, and installed it on her computer via setup icon in the folder. Upon installation, the bridge connection & bus drivers were found by device manager and installed. Presto! NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet #2 installed under the 1394 net adapter in network adapters in device manager. It also installed the Nvidia display drives, but kept coming up; control panel will not work with this setup, and kept uninstalling it. But no matter, I had the internet, and could update via Microsoft updates. So I`m still wondering why the drivers never loaded at reinstall?
After all updates, still have a device manager error; other devices – unknown device, location is, Microsoft ACPI – Complaint System.
And the monitor is really bleached out in the white areas, looks terrible. It`s at 1280 by 1024p and 32 bit color. Other adjustments did not help brightness, gamma, and color.
P.S. The original problem with this computer not loading was believed to be caused by a power surge from either the power supply or the phone line. Her neighborhood is known for blowing up phones and electrical surges. She has a breaker type multi-plug power strip, and not a surge protector. I told her to buy a surge protector with phone jacks.

Edited by Gambit66, 04 February 2011 - 12:19 PM.

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. She bought this computer at Circut City when they were going out of business, and it looks like its a display model, sinse it has stickers all over it. Never by a display model!

Another error, showing drives D:, E:, F:, G: removable disk in "safely remove hardware" Thing is nothing is in these drives.

Edited by Gambit66, 05 February 2011 - 03:05 PM.

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
If anybody can help, it would be appreciated!

Gambit66

Gambit66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So no help here???? Pretty sad,,, Maybe I should have listen to myself insted of my brother about coming here... you call yourself techs,, I got more tech in my little finger then you have in your hole forum!

You know, I could refer people to some software that scans and tells me the problem someones having and give the solution. or I could just use my brain....which is far superior than yours! I`ve seen more porblems here that could have been solved with simple answers,, But your only and every solution is,, download this,, install that... [bleep] they could do all that just by googling there problem...

Sad.. give it up geeks to go... You do more going tehn solving.

Don`t worry about a rebuttal,, because I`m done with your lack luster service...