Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google/Yahoo Redirect, Sluggish Computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Panda10

Panda10

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am currently working on a computer for a coworker of my husbands that was just filled with malware (he didn't have any type of protection). I have ran MBAM until it runs clean as well as Microsoft Security Essentials (which i downloaded as some protection for him. However, I am still having problems with the computer being sluggish as well as getting redirects when using google or yahoo searches which leads me to believe that there is something there that I'm not catching. Please help so that I can get this computer back to its owner and I can get back to my lovely malware free (hopefully) computer!

Advertisements

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
Hello Panda10 and welcome to Geeks to Go! Please follow these guidelines while we work on your PC:
  • Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until I’ve given you the “All clear.” Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
  • Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
  • Any light blue colored text in my posts indicates a clickable link.
  • If you have any questions at all, please stop and ask before proceeding.
Posted Image Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

DDS.scr
DDS.com
DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
---------------------------------------------------
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
Posted Image Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop.
  • Double click the exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it

• In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

If you have trouble running GEMR:
  • Make sure that your security software is disabled
  • Uncheck the box next to "Files" this time also
  • If you still can't run it, try in the Safe Mode
Please include the following in your next post:
  • DDS.txt and Attach.txt logs
  • GMER log

Panda10

Panda10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you for your post. I ended up finding the final few items that were evading MBAM and the virus software. I had to let it go at that as the person needed their computer back and it was running much better.

Thank you for your help.

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
Very good. Thanks for letting me know.

RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 930 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.