Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, I got a Dell XPS 7100. I want to put a second HDD in it, i was looking at maybe a 1TB WD black. Anybody know if this mobo supports SATA 3.0?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Full specs here: http://www.dell.com/...dio-xps-7100/pd

No mention of it having SATA3, but SATA3 drives are backward compatible anyway, though transfer speed will be limited to whatever SATA spec the PC has.
You might also have to configure a jumper on a SATA3 drive to allow it to work on SATA or SATA2 controller.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is the drive in your computer. > http://techreport.com/articles.x/13440

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey guys, thanks for the speedy reply. Glad to know these are backward compatible. Do you think the powersupply can handle another HDD i know its already pretty limited as i have the 1090T and the 5870?

Edited by Mason24, 03 February 2011 - 05:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
According to this benchmark, > four-and five platter models. Note that unlike most hard disk specifications, power consumption normally is higher for drives with more platters even within the same family--since they have more mass to move, more power is required to turn the platters. Many manufacturers just quote an average for the whole family, but IBM generally doesn't:

Operating Condition

+5 V draw (Amps, RMS)

+12 V draw (Amps, RMS)

Power Consumption (W)

Start-Up

Peak

--

Random R/W Operation

Peak

--

Average

Seek

Peak

--

Average

Idle

Average

Standby

Average

Sleep

Average

I would say the PSU could handle the slight power draw.