Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2003/2007 Hyperlinking Issues

• Please log in to reply

quicksilver417

quicksilver417

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

This is my first time posting in this forum, I hope you guys can help.

I am in the process of updating an Excel spreadsheet with a bunch of hyperlinks that lead to another workbook within the same server. The file has been worked on before me by someone on Excel 2007 and I am using Excel 2003 to do it. After opening the file and updating links, all the links are now bad. When I edit hyperlink, the path reads like this:
../../marketing1/Priority%20Project%20Sheet%20Index/NJ%20Region/CM/NJSDA_Cool%20ES,%20Plainfield%20District.xlsx

This is invalid in both my Excel 2003 and her Excel 2007. I noticed that when her and I do a hyperlink, the paths are slightly different. Mine for example would be: NY%20Region/CM/Nassau%20County_Police%20Training%20Facility%2051455.xlsx, while hers paths beginning at the servername/marketing1/ style. Also to note after I open her saved link on my excel, it changes to the invalid path like above.

Can someone please tell me what's happening and what I should do about this? My boss wants to be able to open the hyperlinks on all computers and it seems to me my Excel2003 is having a hard time translating whats done in Excel2007.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you want to open the links on all computers, you need to use standard and full pathnames as opposed to relative links.
It might also be a good idea to use the same version of Excel on both machines when editing the sheets, otherwise you're going to run into issues like these.

quicksilver417

quicksilver417

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help Neil I'm just gonna put down the full path and hopefully nothing else will mess up.

However, the person who was originally working on the file recently opened it and the hyperlinks now have a full path to the file but to the documents on her C drive like so:

C:\Documents and Settings\BerniceK\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\NY Region\CM\Chautaqa County_SUC Fredonia New Residence Hall.xlsx

When she tries to open it, it doesn't work as well. Wdf?!

-Andy

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What you really should do in this situation is set up network drives on both machines pointing to common shares. Use the same drive letter on both PC's.
Then you should just be able to insert a link to Z:\stuff\excel\stuff.xlsx (for example) and it should work on both of them.

For XP, but the process is the same for Vista and 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582