Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shortcuts not working

• Please log in to reply

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I left my PC on overnight, and this morning it suddenly uses my 't' key on the keyboard to minimise whatever window I'm typing in (MS Word, email, internet search, this forum - everything) and opens another window I have open. Could anyone please urgently tell me how to make this PC stop seeing the letter 't' as a shortcut key??? I urgently need to do banking online, and my login name has a small 't' in it, so I can't log in now, because it's case sensitive. If I make it a capital with shift, then it doesn't see it as a shortcut, but I absolutely need it to work as a normal letter and not a shortcut. Help, please???

Further to the above, it works on this forum, it seems, but not on my online banking - can anyone please tell me why it's doing this and how to stop it?

I just realised that it's not doing it in Firefox, but it's doing it in Explorer, and my Windows Explorer. In Windows Explorer, it doesn't work as a small letter at all, and in Internet Explorer, it toggles the windows of whatever I have open instead of writing the letter.

Edited by Vanessa13, 04 February 2011 - 02:33 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Does the problem go away after a complete shutdown/pause/power-back-up reboot?

(You could also try Windows' On-Screen Keyboard. Click Start > Run, type in osk and press [Enter]).

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
FYI____To reset internet explorer, start menu- control panel- network & internet connectios- internet options- advanced tab- reset internet explorer settings

If that does not help, then go back to the same advanced tab and click on- restore advanced settings. Don`t forget to click (apply these settings)

Plus, virus, spyware and/or cookies can cause this. do a scan.

I would not log into your bank account until you resolve this, but most banks have a secured login page. mostly means that it allows only one ip address (Computer)to login, among other security measures.

Key loggers is realy the only way someone can see what your typing.

Edited by Gambit66, 04 February 2011 - 07:58 AM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi There,

I resTarTed, and iT's STill doing This. IT's driving me up The wall!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going To updaTe my drivers now. If ThaT doesnT work, This STupid PC is probably going ouT The window!!!!!!!!!!

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Did you not try SpywareDR`s advice- (You could also try Windows' On-Screen Keyboard. Click Start > Run, type in osk and press [Enter])

And did you try what I told you????

I guarantee, it aint the driver.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Update:

Sorry, I said earlier that it's a USB keyboard, but it's actually not. We have a spare keyboard that IS a USB one, however, and I just plugged that in. Now BOTH keyboards work again!!!!!! The problem seems to be intermittent, as it worked for a short while after I restarted (about five minutes!).

I had this problem a few months ago on another computer, but I have absolutely no recollection of how I fixed it. :D

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
You're right about the driver - there aren't even any updates available, as I already had the latest drivers.

I don't think it was a virus the last time I had this problem, but the scan is busy running at the moment anyway, just in case. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is what's scanning as I type this now (the scan will end after midnight only, since it has to scan about 2.5 TB of HDD space). If you know of any spyware detector that will work nicely with MSE, I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm a writer by profession, so I can't use the on-screen keyboard - I probably type about 100 times faster than that thing can work :D

Did you not try SpywareDR`s advice- (You could also try Windows' On-Screen Keyboard. Click Start > Run, type in osk and press [Enter])

And did you try what I told you????

I guarantee, it aint the driver.

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry, I`m not that keen on abbreviations, What is MSE???

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Microsoft Security Essentials

IT's now noT working on eiTher keyboard :-(

Sorry, I`m not that keen on abbreviations, What is MSE???

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay, that`s new, and being that it`s an obvious new virus system from microsoft, (new to me anyway). I`ts not worth it from what your telling me.

So your saying you can`t get into controll panel or start run menu to perform the task`s giving to you???

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi there,

I'm not sure what tasks you mean? I can get into everything on my PC - it's only the 't' key that doesn't work (but it works if I use Shift at the same time).

I have a nasty suspicion that I inadvertantly pushed a few keys last night that told my PC to see that key as a shortcut to toggle windows... Anyway, I just did a system restore from two days ago, so I'll post again either later or over the weekend, after I've worked on it a while to let everyone know if it's sorted - it's working now again, but it WAS intermittent, so it's too early to tell if the restore worked.

As for the Microsoft anti-virus, I'm told that it's been out for quite a long time already, although I can't say for sure, since I only installed it recently (I was using AVG, but it started doing weird things and irritating me).

Gambit66

Gambit66

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
These task`s ! > You could also try Windows' On-Screen Keyboard. Click Start > Run, type in osk and press [Enter]).
FYI____To reset internet explorer, start menu- control panel- network & internet connectios- internet options- advanced tab- reset internet explorer settings

If that does not help, then go back to the same advanced tab and click on- restore advanced settings. Don`t forget to click (apply these settings)

If you have AVG still installed on your computer, 2 anti virus applications cannot run at the same time, causes conflict in the system.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Wikipedia: Microsoft Security Essentials
http://en.wikipedia....rity_Essentials

Edited by SpywareDr, 05 February 2011 - 05:27 AM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I uninstalled AVG before I installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

The 't' shortcut problem seems to be resolved since my system restore, thank goodness! :D

Thanks for all the help, guys!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Good to hear the problem's been solved. Thanks for posting back. :D