Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

server as a pc

• Please log in to reply

greghoffman

greghoffman

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
i have a chance to get a dell poweredge 1600 sc for free. can i use it as a home pc to play games and surf the net? what would i need to do to make it work as a pc and not a server? i think it already has windows xp installed on it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A server is technically a PC and you can use use them for everyday use.
The poweredge 1600 is nine years old, and wouldn't be gaming capable anyway. It may also struggle on the internet.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The on board graphics is not able to play games with much success so a video card upgrade would be needed and this seems highly improbable as there is no way in the BIOS to disable the on board graphics, (Dell will not write a fix for the BIOS_)

Some users have been able to get cards to partially work, sometimes. There is lots of info on the web, here is one, >
http://en.community....t/12864084.aspx
If the machine is free and you are able to try some PCI cards, give it a go, BUT I would not go out and spend much money.

greghoffman

greghoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
OK...thanks for the advice...i think i'll pass on it.