Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about upgrading a router

• Please log in to reply

tarheel2069

tarheel2069

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Netgear WGR614v6 router currently. Its about 6 or 7 years old now. It still works but Im wondering if its not time for me to good ahead and spring for a new one. My desktop is hardwired into it but I connect a PS3, smartphone and a laptop to it. I have all kinds of problems connecting to the internet with the PS3 which I blame on the PS3 but maybe the problem lies in the router.

I guess Im wondering if my router is outdated, and if so and I need to replace, what is a good replacement router?

Advertisements

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Have you ever flashed your router with the latest update of software ?

If it`s 6 or 7 years old you may do well to get a new one and it likely would fix your issue with the PS3, when it comes to residential routers, there isn`t that much to seperate them unless its wireless capabilities. i.e. most routers will run a 20 mb connection exactly the same, but one may have A, B, G or N wireless this is the thing that seperates them and makes them more expensive than one another.

In your situation I would google, "top ten routers" have a read and pick one that suites everything your looking for, routers are too complicated to ask "which one is best" all different factors come into play, bt connection, always on cable, A,B,G and N wireless. Dual band is a good one to look at as this actually gives you 2 seperate networks, one to run your ps3 and one to run say your pc and streaming media then one doesn`t drag the other down. This is what I will be looking for in my next router as it makes the network much more responsive and quicker