Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to internet after XP home reinstall

• Please log in to reply

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Dell D600 Latitude laptop, reinstalled XP home, and now I can't connect to internet. Dev manager shows the following in yellow: Other Devices, Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, O2 Micro SmartCard Bus Reader, PCI modem and Video Controller (VGA compatible). Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you use the Dell recovery cd or a different OS disk?
Do you have a Drivers Disk for your system?
All original drivers for your system are located HERE.
If you have no drivers disk then I suggest you download everything and burn them to a cd so you have them for future needs.

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I loaded the "Drivers and Utilities" cd after I reinstalled windows. I just put the cd in the drive and it loads automatically right? I don't have to "install" it. Still nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it install anything? It should tell you it's doing something.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As rshaffer61 has said - it should tell you its is doing something.
You may just put it in - but you still have to then follow this procedure.

To reinstall a driver or utility from your Drivers and Utilities CD:

1. Save and close any open files, and exit any open programs.

2. Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD.

In most cases, the CD starts running automatically. If it does not, start Microsoft® Windows® Explorer, click your CD drive directory to display the CD contents, and then double-click the autorcd.exe file. The first time that you run the CD, it might prompt you to install setup files. Click OK, and follow the instructions on the screen to continue.

3. From the Language drop-down menu in the toolbar, select your preferred language for the driver or utility (if available).

A welcome screen appears.

4. Click Next. The CD automatically scans your hardware to detect drivers and utilities used by your computer.

After the CD completes the hardware scan, you can also detect other drivers and utilities. Under Search Criteria, select the appropriate categories from the System Model, Operating System, and Topic drop-down menus.

A link or links appear(s) for the specific drivers and utilities used by your computer.

5. Click the link of a specific driver or utility to display information about the driver or utility that you want to install.

6. Click the Install button (if present) to begin installing the driver or utility. At the welcome screen, follow the screen prompts to complete the installation.

If no Install button is present, automatic installation is not an option. For installation instructions, either see the appropriate instructions in the following subsections, or click Extract, follow the extracting instructions, and read the readme file.

If instructed to navigate to the driver files, click the CD directory on the driver information window to display the files associated with that driver.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 February 2011 - 05:37 PM.

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
A window opens with "My System" and it gives a checklist type list of drivers etc that it finds on my system. never asks me if I want to install anything and tells me that it has installed anything.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

never asks me if I want to install anything and tells me that it has installed anything.

Is that quote - to mean OR tells me,
OR is it to mean and tells me that it has installed everything.

What I would do is to then go to the link that "rshaffer61" gave you.
insert you service tag no.
Then select and download the
1.Chipset driver
2.IDE controller
3.Network and wirless driver
4.ATi graphics driver
5.Sigmatel audio driver.
As you cannot obviously go there on your laptop I would download to a flash drive, copy to your computer, if the downloads are self executing drivers obviously run them, if not I would then go device manager and MANUALLY install them by update driver, NOT automatically and then find
the respective driver in the folder you have created on this computer.
Alternatively - as a start you can try the next stage on that CD to
A link or links appear(s) for the specific drivers and utilities used by your computer etc.

PERSONALLY I would obtain the latest from the Dell site.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 February 2011 - 06:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The link I gave should take you directly to the drivers for XP. You can then download the list that Mac gave and should be able to then update the drivers with no problem.

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I went to the link that rshaffer61 gave me. I downloaded the Chipset driver, Network and wireless driver and the Signatel audio driver. I do not see anything on that page that says "IDE controller" or "ATi graphics driver". Are they called something other than the names provided by Macboatmaster?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have another look
Item 9 from the top of the list and the last one.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 01:56 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ATi graphics driver might be video driver

IDE controller is called IDE and EIDE controller and is the 9th one down in the list.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As we have both said
AND whilst "rshaffer61" was posting, I have attached a screenshot to my post.
The Ati is the last one. just expand it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 02:00 PM.

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I enter the Service Tag number that is not the list that comes up. Should I go back and remove the Service tag number and try again? Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Even with the service tag number you should still have the graphics driver- which one - graphics is available.
Forget the IDE driver for the time being- if it NOT offered.
The purpose of the service tag no is that some branded laptops had different wirless cards in and the like and it only then offers the drivers relevant to yours.

coffeegal

coffeegal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I finally see what you are talking about. I had to click on the other tab to see all the download file. OK, I downloaded the ATi Graphics Driver, rebooted, same problem. Now what? Thanks.