Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

corrupt windows\system32\config\system

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
DO NOT FORMAT IT you will lose all your data.

TRY this.
PUT the HDD back in the original conmputer

See this and make that Puppy Linux CD

There are a number of ways of recovering your data. One is below and probably one of the best.
Puppy Linux
See this link
http://distro.ibibli...fulldrivers.iso
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd using this
http://www.snapfiles...dlburncdcc.html

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....
• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds - but THIS GUIDE is for using a USB flash pen or hard drive.
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..
after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will
mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...
your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive.. and download to another computer.
Ensure the other computer can read them...
now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..
Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption.

POSTED with acknowledgement to the authors of this information

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 February 2011 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Thank you for you help again. I have successfully imaged the cd to boot the computer. I have gotten all the way to this sentence in your previous blog;
now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
I have clicked on the filing cabinet on the menu bar, but do not see my C drive listed, it just lists the files on puppy. Am I at the wrong filing cabinet? There is no filing cabinet on the main drive showing in the drives icon, it is just red. Did I miss a step? Or is it because my HDD is encrypted. Thanks again for your help. I think I almost have it. Just this last step. I appreciate you and all your help.
BDT

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are you should be on this
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive.

Does this help you

http://help.artaro.e...rd-disk-xp.html

This is slightly different as it is for another version of Puppy. However I think you may have missed this line:
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to
your computer...

and that is WHY you are only seeing the Puppy installation which is running in ram.

I have to admit that it may be because they are encrypted but I would think you can still obtain the encrypted ones and then run the decrypt on those files.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 February 2011 - 06:13 PM.

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi again and as before I thank you very much for trying to help me recover my data. I am booted up, but the html you sent me shows the c drive just above the menu bar on the desktop of PUPPY. On my desktop of PUPPY, there is nothing, the drives are showing in the drives icon at the top of the page, and when I click on it, it says, Failure! In the case of removable media the most common reason is the media is not currently inserted. Or, you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media. If so, please remedy. If Puppy is just booting off the RAM, can I take out my hard drive and connect to a USB port using the USB harddrive adapter. Or will my computer not boot up is the hard drive is not in its place. Or when I reinserted my hard drive, did I not put it in correctly. I guess I am at a loss, I will keep trying, thanks for the HTML, should I try a higher version of PUPPY, or is the one I am using going to be sufficient. Anyway, I am learning a lot and I like that very much, thanks again for all your help. I have gotten farther than I ever thought I would.
Regards,BDT

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes it is as I said a slightly different layout.
However the principle is still the same.
Firstly you detect the drives, then in this case, forget about the flash drive for the time being - look for sda1 most likely that will be the hard drive.

WHEN you put the hard drive back in, did you check that it was seen in BIOS -
If it is NOT in BIOS as a drive it will not be in Puppy.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 February 2011 - 06:41 PM.

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Again, thanks for the answer. When I changed the Boot sequence, it listed a HDD, so I thought that it was. I will try reduing the whole procedure and see what happens. Thanks again very much. BDT

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the hard drive was listed in the BIOS, then it will be recognised.
After you connected and changed the boot sequence, you did SAVE and exit on F10 I presume.

Perhaps this is my fault, I sent that link to try and help you with the images.
I knew, as I said that it is slightly different to the layout on Puppy SeaMonkey 2.16 but when you click to SHOW all drives connected, it will still be a drive named sda.
As all LINUX software shows hard drives as sda or hda

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am signing off it is 0145 here in UK.
I will not be back online until about 1800hrs.

If NO LUCK in Puppy it is either because the drive WAS marked for a diskcheck, as I am reasonably certain Puppy cannot see those drives.
I will seek advice on that.

OR it is because of the encryption, although I would not have expected that to effect Puppy.

On that image you sent when you had it in the Vista computer and it recognised the drive as F drive.
Go back to that stage if NO LUCK IN PUPPY.
Then go Disk Management
n Vista, Disk Management is part of the Computer Management console in Administrative Tools.

To open Disk Management, follow these steps

Choose Start–>Control Panel to open Control Panel.

Click the System Maintenance link, and then click Administrative Tools to open the Administrative Tools folder.

Click Computer Management to open the Computer Management window.

In the Computer Management pane, expand Storage, and then click Disk Management.

If the file system on the drive is shown as RAW DATA - we have a problem

I have NO knowledge of that encrytion software. I sent you the links but you presumably know more than me, as you have it on your computer.
Where can the decrypt be run from.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi guys maybe this will help. Bottom left side do you see the little drive incons on your screen?

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi rschaffer61,
Thanks for taking a look at this. Macboatmaster sent me PUPPY 2.16 sea monkey that I am using to boot. When I do, I do not see any icons in the lower left hand screen. The version 2.16 has a drive icon on the top of the screen and when I open I see my HDD, but it says Failure! In the case of removable media the most common reason is the media is not currently inserted. Or, you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media. If so, please remedy. I do have my drive encrypted with PGP disk encryption, located in California. I do have the boot disc to unlock the encryption, but don't know to load it. Anyway thanks for taking a look any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BDT

Advertisements

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and rschaffer61,
I redownloaded the PGP encyption disc from their website and my notebook booted from the CD. I might have not done it correctly the first time but using the burn software that you sent me it worked. The disc is being decrypted. It is supposed to take a long time so I am going to let my notebook run all night. I should have a decrypted HDD in the morning, PST. Thanks again for everything, I will let you know what happens tomorrow morning after the disc is decrypted.
BDT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From your description it does sound like a failed hd and short of professional data recovery we may have no other option.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
rshaffer61

Thanks for looking. I am grateful.

bdt

bdt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Macboatmaster and rschaffer61,
Good news. I was able to decrypt the hard drive with the PGP boot disc. It took all night, but this morning I was able to boot the computer with PUPPY, and the HDD disc was displayed when I opened it in the drives folder. I am able to retrieve my data. Thank you, thank you. I can't thank you enough. I think me being a novice, I did not burn the PGP image boot disc correctly, but with the link you sent me I was able to redu it and it worked. It decrypted the drive. I am very appreciative of your time and efforts to help me through this. Thank you. Thank you.
BDT

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased for you and it is a pleasure to work with you.
Your appreciation is obvious and it is enjoyable to help someone who so readily expresses it.
Where do you wish to go now.

I suggest another check on that HDD to see if we obtain the same report - if we do I think you are in the market for a new HDD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 February 2011 - 10:20 AM.