Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

1st time builder tech help.

• Please log in to reply

Didjeredoo

Didjeredoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well its booted without incident 2 more times (I don't use it much yet). I will run memtest as is just to double check. The computer recognizes 8GB. As per voltage what levels am I looking for?
They're 4GB sticks
1333MHz Non-ECC
I'll have to check on the other attributes once I get home (currently in class).

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,752 posts
[quote][voltage what levels am I looking for?/quote]

You need to verify that the specified voltage of your RAM is set correctly in the BIOS. Probable set to auto.

Then you need to verify that it is running at correct voltage.

Your motherboards should have software to monitor and alter performance, Asus is PC Probe. other brands have there own.

If it is not running at the correct voltage you will have to enter BIOS, change auto to manual and enter the correct value.

Didjeredoo

Didjeredoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
According to the stick all it tells me is 666MHz and 1333, I went into the bios and changed the RAM from 200 to 600 (according to bios max is 690) after that change, my pc turned off and won't pass POST, just black screen. I guess this means I gotta reset the CMOS and set it all back to defaults. I am still waiting for a time when I can buy 8GB for less than 100 of a MB compatible RAM sticks. If that doesn't work I'm gonna swap out the MB for the same model (but new).

Didjeredoo

Didjeredoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So after months of collecting dust I scrounged up enough money for some new RAM sticks. The G.SKILL RIPJAW 1600 (2x 4gb sticks) and a new case (the old case's power button connector broke). I installed all but the video card, and now it won't even POST. I've checked and rechecked all the connections. When I first power on, the hard drive light is on for half a second then blinks off again and stays off. Any suggestions? Possibly a bad hard drive or motherboard is still suspect. This is really irritating. I really hope I don't have to buy every single piece again and again until I've spent enough to make 3 computers....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Welcome back Didjeredoo, sorry to see that your update is not good news.
Suggestions:
Try booting with the add on video card fitted!
Clearing the CMOS, use a replacement battery if you have one!
Disconnect the HDD and see if you at least get a BIOS screen (a failed HDD would not normally prevent you getting the BIOS screen)

In the last post by iammykyl he highlighted;

voltage what levels am I looking for?

You need to verify that the specified voltage of your RAM is set correctly in the BIOS. Probable set to auto.
Then you need to verify that it is running at correct voltage.
The suggested Ram voltages may be 1.5V, 1.8V, 1.9V for example,

I went into the bios and changed the RAM from 200 to 600

Different setting, both of these values are usually only adjusted by overclockers.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,752 posts
Hi.

Have you resolved your problem yet?

Didjeredoo

Didjeredoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Actually I found that the cpu I invested in has suffered damage. 2 pins broke off and about 10 of them are bent out of shape and will no longer fit into the socket. It must have happened when I removed the heatsink this one time, it pulled the CPU out with it (while in the locked position) the thermal paste acted like glue.

Do I really NEED thermal paste or is that only for overclocking?

Also, I now need a new CPU, AMD has made it difficult for me to make a claim on it's warranty and I really don't want to spend another 200 dollars on the same cpu. I've heard rumors that jewelers have the tools and resources to fix broken and bent pins on the microprocessor, but nothing solid stating that it is possible to due so. I can't remember if I bought it from newegg or tigerdirect but its definatly a user error and not a defective cpu so I doubt they'll (AMD) will do anything for me. If anyone has any ideas other than just buying a new CPU please fill me in. I'm indefinatly going to be 1 piece of hardware away from a working machine now XD. Maybe in another 3 months I'll be able to afford a new CPU unit.

I really do appreciate the time spent to help me out on these issues. It's become one hair pulling mess.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,752 posts
Sorry to hear of your problem.

You bought your Mobo from Ebay, second hand, There could have been damage to the socket which in turn damage your CPU. Inspect the socket and make sure there are no broken pins lodged inside. You can straighten bent pins but I have never heard of anybody being able to repair broken ones.

Unless you could prove the CPU was damaged during transit, you stand no chance of claiming under the warranty. You will need another CPU.

Do I really NEED thermal paste or is that only for overclocking?

For all CPUs and video cards, regardless of overclocking or not, it is absolutely essential to use TIM. Even if the CPU does not reach it"s thermal threshold (where it will slow down or shut off) it will run at very high temps and damage WILL OCCUR.

Edited by iammykyl, 06 May 2011 - 08:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Actually I found that the cpu I invested in has suffered damage. 2 pins broke off and about 10 of them are bent out of shape and will no longer fit into the socket.

Ouch :)
Tip for straightening bent pins, use a propeller type pencil, empty the lead, depress the button and slide it over the bent pin, release the button and slide the pencil gently upwards, snapped pins I was not aware of any snapped pin repair method so googled it!

1. Go here ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pent...s/30056103.pdf and check on page 37 if the pin is a black one (VSS pins) if yes then you are lucky just install it and it will work. The link is for a 478 pin cpu if your cpu is diferent just go to your manufacter and check if its a ground/voltage pin.
2. take it to a jewely store and ask them to fix it with a 14k gold wire for fast transfer.
3. This is what i always do i just cut a UTP cable (ethernet cable) and take a wire and cut it at about the same size as the original pins have and put it in the exact motherboards slot where the missing pins are.
BUT cut it just a bit longer than the original pins cause it will shink in and then you have to pull it out removing the entire slot.(tip it is advised to cut it longer and then removing it and cut it again and again untill you feel it just about on your finger) Then install the cpu with the wire(s) installed on the missing pins location.
Gratz you fixed your CPU.

It must have happened when I removed the heatsink this one time, it pulled the CPU out with it (while in the locked position) the thermal paste acted like glue

Tip for removing CPUs, run the computer for a while prior to removing the CPU, this softens the TIM enough to prevent pulling out the CPU when the HS is removed.

Didjeredoo

Didjeredoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I tried the UTP cable method and the wires are so high gauge that they bent away from the golden contact when inserting the cpu.

I went to microcenter and picked up a new Mobo (same model, just newer), already I noticed that some of the coloration on this new mobo is different (CMOS jumper black instead of the original green).
I also bought new RAM by CORSAIR so I know it's going to be compatible. In a couple more months I'll be able to buy a new CPU. The broken CPU I have is the AMD Phenom II X4 @3.2GHZ. There was a big jump in price between the X4@2.8GHZ vs the 3.2GHZ, I'm thinking I Might just go with the 2.8GHZ model next time to save some dough. I don't think I'll be noticing a big difference between the 3.2GHZ and the 2.8GHZ (might be just a few miliseconds faster, not worth an extra 40 bucks).

Advertisements