Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Partition Table at boot

• Please log in to reply

Erichw

Erichw

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi I get an 'Invalid partition table' on start up. I uninstalled my music player (Creative) as it wouldnt work properly (during uninstallation I opted for full uninstallation of all related files) and had to restart, then I was prompted at boot up to repair and go to a previous backup. I haven't however created a backup so chose to auto repair but no repair seemed to have taken place (no progress). I don't want to loose my files so not sure a full re-installation of Windows 7 will work for me. Recently had someone upgrade my pc to Windows 7 from XP and my partitions were changed. Not sure if that is related..

Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi Erichw,
The safest and easiest option is to remove the HDD and pop it into a USB HDD enclosure and transfer the files across to another computers HDD.
You havn`t said whether the computer is a laptop or desktop, this is important because if it is a desktop you could also fit the HDD into another desktop as a Slave/second drive and transfer the data across, you could then format the HDD, install a fresh copy of W7 and then copy your data back over, heres a link to some external USB HDD enclosures;
http://www.newegg.co...rnal-Enclosures