Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't run otl or erunt: Google redirect.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

derfenrirwolv

derfenrirwolv

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a google redirect virus. I have no idea where the thing came from. My computer was fine one week, was left alone and unpowered when i was on vacation and when i came back, BOOM.. every third click directs to tazinga.

- I cannot seem to run the requested software. I can DOWNLOAD it just fine. Yes i do know how to deal with zipped files, but everything i try to run gives me an error "dependancy or group failed to start"

edit: i realize that's otL but i can't change the topic

Edited by derfenrirwolv, 05 February 2011 - 12:49 AM.

Advertisements

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hello derfenrirwolv, and welcome to GeeksToGo! My name is Mitch8 and I will be helping you with your problem. Here are a few things I would like to point out:
  • Please post your logs, don't attach them unless stated.
  • Please read my posts carefully and if you have any questions ask.
  • Stay with this topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Malware can still be on your system even if you don't notice it.

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Extract its contents to your desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

Posted Image

• If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

Posted Image

• If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.

Posted Image

• It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.

Posted Image

• If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Next,

Download AVPTool from Here to your desktop

Run the programme you have just downloaded to your desktop (it will be randomly named )

First we will run a virus scan
On the first tab select all elements down to Computer and then select start scan
Once it has finished select report and post that.

Posted Image

Do not close AVPTool or it will self uninstall, if it does uninstall - then just rerun the setup file on your desktop

Now an analysis scan
Select the Manual Disinfection tab
Press the Gather System Information button
Once done Open the last report saved folder then attach the zip file to your next post zip
The file is located at C:\Users\your name\Desktop\Virus Removal Tool\setup_9.0.0.722_05.01.2011_20-34\LOG\avptool_sysinfo.zip

Posted Image

derfenrirwolv

derfenrirwolv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't post a log because i don't have a log with any of the programs.

Same problem, dependency or group failed to start.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

I edited my post after I posted it. Did you see the park about AVP? What exactly is the error message that pops up? Does this happen for all programs?

derfenrirwolv

derfenrirwolv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
from TDS

Spoiler

Edited by derfenrirwolv, 07 February 2011 - 10:28 PM.

derfenrirwolv

derfenrirwolv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
attaching zip.. i think...

Attached Files

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

How is your computer running now? Any other problems?

derfenrirwolv

derfenrirwolv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Runs perfectly!

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

*does waynes world we're not worthy bow*

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
It looks like your log is clean :D

You can delete any of the tools that we used.

Please follow the steps below to keep your computer clean.

• Clean restore points - To get you off to a good start we will clean your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your restore points, but this is my method:
    • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
    • On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
    • Click NEXT
    • Enter a name e.g. Clean
    • Click CREATE
    You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:
    • Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
    • In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
    • Click OK
    • The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
    • Select the More Options Tab.
    • At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
    • Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done
  • Update your computer - To check for updates yourself go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com It is very important to check for updates often as my security problems are fixed with updates. Also make sure your computer will update automatically, to do that:
    • Go the control panel
    • Click on security center
    • Then "Automatic Updates"
    • Select Automatic (recommended)
    • Pick the time and click ok
  • Update Java - It's very important to keep java up to date because older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
    Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
    • Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    • Accept any prompts.
    • Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    • Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.
  • Update Adobe Reader- It's good to keep Adobe Reader updated to because many security problems are fixed in updates. To check for updates:
    • Open Adobe Reader
    • On the menu bar click on help then check for updates...
    • The program will then tell you if updates are available
  • Anti-spyware programs - These programs will scan your computer and delete spyware. If you do not have any anti-spyware programs on your computer I recommend:
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A good tutorial on SpywareBlaster can be found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial49.html
  • Safe web browsing - You can install one of the toolbars below that will warn you about a malicious website.
  • Update your security software! You have to update you security software to make sure your computer is safe from new malware threats.
  • And also see TonyKlein's article
    So how did I get infected in the first place?

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.