Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32bit to 64bit?

• Please log in to reply

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, this is probably a really dumb question...but is it possible to upgrade a computer from a 32 bit processor to a 64 bit processor? And if it is...will you need all new software/operating system? Or do you basically need to get a new computer?
Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Cedarhollow :D

is it possible to upgrade a computer from a 32 bit processor to a 64 bit processor?

Yes, but there are certain factors that have to be taken into consideration such as the MB being upgradeable and the amount of available Ram for examples.

will you need all new software/operating system?

OS no as it (Windows 64 bit) is backwards compatible but I cannot say the same for all software.

Or do you basically need to get a new computer?

No, not unless you are looking for a reason to justify purchasing one :D
Some info for you http://www.techsuppo...t-explained.htm
Hope this helps you decide what you consider to be your best option.

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I have Windows 7. When I go to my system information it says that My OS is 32bit. This is what it says for my processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8GHz and then it says it again. (It lists the same thing twice.)
So, this is my dilema...I am looking at some software. It says that it requires a 64bit processor. So, what do I do?? Thanks for your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Ok, I have Windows 7. When I go to my system information it says that My OS is 32bit. This is what it says for my processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8GHz and then it says it again. (It lists the same thing twice.)
So, this is my dilema...I am looking at some software. It says that it requires a 64bit processor. So, what do I do?? Thanks for your help!

2 X 32bit equates to 64bit, for a better explanation than I can give read this http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Intel_Core and this http://www.intel.com...ature/index.htm

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so I read the articles you linked to. And I think I understand it to say that the processsors that I have are the equivilent to 1 64bit (being 2 32bit). So, now...my Windows 7OS is 32bit. Will I be able to run a 64bit program?
Thanks so much for your help! While I can fumble along and do great things with my photo software, etc...this 'computer speak' makes my brain hurt! LOL!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Will I be able to run a 64bit program?

The computer is capable of it but not Windows 7 64bit, see below;

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and then choose the Custom option during Windows Vista installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows Vista.

For detailed information about installing and upgrading 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, go to Installation choices for Windows Vista (32-bit) or Installation choices for Windows Vista (64-bit) online.

Notes
•To install a 64-bit version of Windows on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows installation disc.

•If you start your computer using a 64-bit Windows installation disc, but your computer isn't capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll see a Windows Boot Manager error. You'll need to use a 32-bit Windows installation disc instead.

For the full article http://windows.micro...asked-questions

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you! Very helpful!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
No worries :D

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

2 X 32bit equates to 64bit

What? No. The Core 2 Duo line of CPUs are native 64-bit dual-core processors, not two 32-bit processors smushed together (and if they were, they would still be 32-bit processors). If that was the case, that would make the Core 2 Quad CPUs be 128-bit (4 * 32-bit), but there is no 128-bit hardware or software currently available in the consumer PC market.

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, but I would still need Windows7 64bit OS to run software that requires 64bit processors, right? My Windows7 is 32bit. ???

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Apologies for my ignorance

5 1993 Pentium, Pentium MMX, Cyrix 5x86, Rise mP6 superscalar, 64-bit databus, faster FPU, MMX (2x 32-bit)

This is what misled me previously :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Ok, but I would still need Windows7 64bit OS to run software that requires 64bit processors, right? My Windows7 is 32bit. ???

Yes.

Is your windows 7 installation disk a retail version, if yes, what flavour is it?

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Flavor? Sorry, do you mean like Home, etc? Mine is the Ultimate version...if that is what you were asking. Apologies for my ignorance. Just an infant in computer speak, etc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I was using flavour as in flavoured ice cream.

Sorry if I confused you.

When doing a fresh, clean install of windows 7, choose custom install, you will have the option to use 32bit or 64bit as both versions are on the disk.

You must back up any important Data you want to save as a clean install will completely wipe and format the hard drive.

After installation remember to download any updates and patches for the OS.

You will then need to find and install any 64bit programs you need.

1. Anti virus. 2 A firewall if you do not want to use the windows one.

Let us know how you get on.

Cedarhollow

Cedarhollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh, ok. Now will that cause any problems with other software? Or can the 64bit OS run 32bit software but not vice versa?