Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing screen

• Please log in to reply

Gingasinga

Gingasinga

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Someone please help. My Pc is booting up ok but the vdu just keeps flashing on and off. Got a realty urgent job today but am completely stumped. Please please say someone can help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Gingasinga :D
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.

Gingasinga

Gingasinga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. It is a desktop Compaq Presario. Running on Windows XP. It has a wireless connection and hard wire. I'm afraid I don't know any of the information. I don't have any add on cards. Hope this helps.

Gingasinga

Gingasinga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh and the monitor is a Compaq FP5315

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok, the 1st suggestion I can make is to try attaching the computer to another screen, a laptop that has a VGA port will do, this is to check if it is the computer or the Compaq FP5315 screen that has the issue, while you are doing this check the condition of the PC to screen lead including whether it is secure at both ends and there are no bent pins in the end connectors.
Other causes could be bad drivers, a failed video chip or add on card, bad Ram and a failing PSU.
Do you get a single POST beep when booting up?

Gingasinga

Gingasinga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did not get post beep on booting

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did not get post beep on booting

Do you normally get a beep? We need to know this to be sure there is a system speaker either attached or on the MB.
Dependent on the outcome of testing the computer with another screen the next step I would suggest would be to remove the Ram and reboot the PC, this again is to check for error beeps, if you get beeps it suggests the Ram may be ok, once you have done this blow out the Ram slots and then reseat the Ram securely and reboot.
Whilst the case is open take the opportunity to clean out any heat trapping dust and ensure that all connections are secure, before reaching inside the case ensure the power cord is disconnected from the wall socket and that you ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case.