Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista - 'Update Woes'

• Please log in to reply

thearabianmage

thearabianmage

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey y'all,

I was here about 6-8 months ago with an Alureon rootkit, and upon disinfecting my system, I was advised to also update my Vista OS to SP2, as I'm still on SP1.

Now, I've never liked doing any updates because the computer seemed fine, none of the updates seemed relevant (Outlook!?), and I didn't want to clutter up my computer even more - but as I trusted the mod that helped me rid my computer of the virus, I began the updates.

(Just to clarify, I'm not blaming the guy that helped me, but Microsoft)

That's when the problems started.

Everything happens - at least once every 20-30 minutes Windows Explorer will stop responding and shut down (sometimes multiples times in as many minutes), there are constant warnings that something isn't working right (I never understand what that 'something' is as it's always different and only alluded to in impenetrable programming), shutdowns never go smoothly, startup has gone from 2 minutes 'off-to-browsing-the-web' to about 5-7 minutes, the computer is noticeably slower. I can keep listing the problems; some where there before I began the updates, but have been exacerbated since, and others are freshly annoying.

Everytime one of these problems occurs, I am told to update Windows. So I have a look, and the only things available are upgrades to Silverlight (?), Outlook (...), and multiple other things that have nothing to do with upgrading the Service Pack, or seem to have any relevance to the functionality of the computer altogether.

I understand that some updates can only be accessed through others, but I am very frustrated with this.

How can I:

A) Reverse the updates that I've made thus far

or

B) Complete the updates so these errors don't happen as often

Is there a direct link for SP2? If not, find me the rearend of the guy at Microsoft that suggested not to have one, and deliver it to me asap for a swift kick, please. Other than that, any help would be much appreciated :D

Cheers

Joe

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Joe,
Your best bet is to use method 3 at the attached link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791