Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp want boot

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i have an old compaq that i put a new hard drive in about a year ago. it has been working very good until last night.

while i was using it and studing some other stuff the notebook froze.

i tried control alt delete and nothing.

so i shut it down and tried to reboot it however everytime it starts i get the screen that sais boot manually, or safe mode and the other options.

i tried all of them and it looks like it is going to start, i get the compaq logo and everything. then i see a blue screen flast then it goes right back to the beginning where it ask to start in safe mofe and the othe options.

i have the cd that i bought that i loaded xp on.

so if you have some ideas i am interested. thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
f8 does not do anything but beep real loud and i see the screen that i was talking about

safe mofe safe mofe with networking

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you see the screen with Safe Mode in it then the option I refer to should be there also.
Follow the instructions to get the BSOD to stop and reply with the requested information.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok found it
now i am at a blue screen that saus a problem has nee detedted ,,,,,
the it says with
unmountable_boot_volume

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any error code or any other info?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no just the blue scren saying unmountable boot volume

at the very bottom it sais stop oxooooooed

i got to leave for a couple of hours. i will check back the evening. thanks and if you have more ideas i will gladly try them. thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The stop code is the important part I needed. The explanation is as follows.

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Now you stated you replaced the HD about a year ago and the question I have is did you use a recovery disk to reload it or another XP disk?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
when i did the hard drive i bought windows xp

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great that may be a good thing then. Please try the following steps and let me know if this works for you.
If you have Windows XP CD...

1. Boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R:

Posted Image

3. You'll find yourself at this screen:

Posted Image

4. Once you are at the Recovery Console you will be given at least one choice of Windows installations. Normally the choice you want is the number 1 choice. Click the number 1 key at the "top" of the keyboard and click enter.

NOTE: at this point your numbers to the right of your keyboard are turned off. If you insist on using these keys for your numbers remember to hit the Numbers Lock key before clicking a number over there or your computer will automatically reboot and you will have to wait through the previous steps to get back to the console.

5. You will be given a message asking for the administrator password. Unless someone or something has messed with your computer there is no password so you just click the Enter key.

6. This will bring you to a prompt that says:

C:\WINDOWS>

7. Type:

cd \

Press Enter

Note: between "cd" and "" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work

8. The prompt should now say:

C:\>

9. Type:

cd system~1\_resto~1

Press Enter.

Note: If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Press Enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Press Enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Press Enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Press Enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6

10. Type:

dir

Press Enter

NOTE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

11. Type:

cd rp{with the second to the last restore point number }

Press Enter

Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point

12. Type:

cd snapshot

Press Enter.

NOTICE: Now the command prompt will look like this:

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content.

13. Type:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Press Enter

14. Type:

Exit

Press Enter.

Final note : If the above procedure won't solve the problem, repeat all steps, but in step 13 type:

copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Alternatively, select different restore point.

If you don't have Windows CD...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Follow steps 3 - 14.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i was going try this this morning however i could net get to the blue screen that you posted.

i restarted the notebook and pressed f10 and i chose the option boot from cd however nothing happened of i did not do this right

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i was on the option boot
then cd-rom drive
removible devices
hard drive

i moved cd-rom to the top and tried this however it did not start the disk

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
then i moved the cdrom to the top i did f10 to save changed then it went back to the screen that i had to start with that sais safe mode and with net working

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it seems the boot menu you are describing is not allowing the boot to the cdrom. Can you enter the bios and manually change the boot sequence there?

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
for some reason then i try to change the boot system it is not taking and when exit it goes right back to the black screen