Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP doesn't boot up, goes as far as the blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Chronic1000

Chronic1000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My PC (Eight year old Compaq 7500, not sure of the specs) had a hardware failure, from what I can tell. The antivirus found a Trojan horse when my father was checking his email, but it automatically shut down. After he restarted it, the computer only got to the blinking cursor.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the answer seems to use an XP CD to fix the problem or something, but the computer (as far as I know) didn't come up with one. Even if it did, the C Drive isn't opening up (It opened up once, but immediately closed.) System Recovery won't work either.

Do you all know what I can do to repair my computer?

Also, if you need more information, I can explain more in detail if I know what it is.

Advertisements

Chronic1000

Chronic1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This happened after the computer was allowed to do a boot time scan, if that helps at all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Chronic1000 :D
You need an XP disk in order to do a repair installation, if you havnt got one can you loan one, if you can make sure it is the same version as the one on the HDD or a greater version, for example if your version is XP Home you could use XP Pro but not the other way around, this is because Home does not have all of the features that Pro does.

Chronic1000

Chronic1000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks.

Ah, I see. Well, I still can't get the disc drive to open. Is there any way I can get it open aside from pushing the button repeatedly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Got a paper clip?
Straighten it out and then on the front of the cdrom drive you will see a small hole.
Stick the paper clip in that hole and give it a little push. The drive tray should release and allow you to manually open it then.
It sounds like a failing mechanical drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Thanks.

Ah, I see. Well, I still can't get the disc drive to open. Is there any way I can get it open aside from pushing the button repeatedly?

If you cannot get the disk tray to open the drive may be dead, meaning you cant use it to do a repair installation.
Have a look at the front of the drive and you should see a circular hole, straighten out a paper clip and push it into the hole and the disk tray should open.