Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SLI question

• Please log in to reply

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello, I recently purchased a new rig and was planning on giving my older rig to a friend. This PC has a m2n-sli deluxe board and right now is running a single bfg nvidia 7900 gs oc. I'm not to sure how SLI works but i also have a regular 7900 GS. Would these 2 cards work even though one of them came overclocked? or would they just run at the speed of the slower card?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Here is a good article which should answer your question, and more, > http://www.tomshardw...-crossfire-faqs

You would have to also check that the PSU, has enough PCI-e connectors delivering enough amperage for duel card setup.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 February 2011 - 05:41 PM.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the article, my PSU is 520 watt corsair http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139001

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
video card system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements

• CPU with processor speed of 1GHz or higher
  • 256MB of RAM
  • Microsoft Windows XP
  • CD or DVD-ROM drive
  • 35MB available hard disk space (50MB for full installation)
  • A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply (with 12V current rating of 22A or more)
  • A PCI Express compliant motherboard
  • A vacant X16 PCI Express slot
  • Two available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)
    -or-
  • A PCI Express supplementary power connector
    NOTE: For two GeForce 7900 GS-based graphics cards running in NVIDIA SLI configurations, a minimum 450W system power supply (with 12V rating of 28A) is recommended. Visit www.slizone.com
Your PSU.

+3.3@24A,+5V@24A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,[email protected],+5VSB@3A

Don't know if you connected the card with the supplied Dongle or you used the PCI-e connector.

The PSU has enough watts but not sure about the amps.

Install the second card and let us know how it goes.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

or would they just run at the speed of the slower card?

Exactly. Your PSU has 2 PCI-Express power connectors and 40A on the 12V rails, so you're good to go.