Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd bsods that i can't figure out how to fix

• Please log in to reply

bolbod

bolbod

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I wrote on these forums originally for bsods that occur while I am gaming. I am still dealing with those, not sure if its the drivers or the graphics card itself at this point, but the reason for the new topic is a new bsod that has cropped up in the last couple days. These are from whocrashed:

On Sat 2/5/2011 3:10:08 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020411-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxg.sys (dxg+0x38A2)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD0038A2, 0xFFFFFFFFB113FC94, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dxg.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/4/2011 7:48:45 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x2A40)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8054B10F, 0xFFFFFFFFB0C71B50, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 1/31/2011 11:35:39 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini013111-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxg.sys (dxg+0x38A2)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBD0038A2, 0xFFFFFFFFB41BEC94, 0x0)

On Mon 1/31/2011 5:45:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini013111-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxg.sys (dxg+0xB4B5)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFE0187F54, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFBD00B4B5, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

I see a recurring theme in this, and that is that something might be configured incorrectly. If this truely is a software problem, then I would like to troubleshoot possible configurations that will nulify this problem (it might also be the solution to my graphics card bsods [nv4_disp.dll errors]).
Thank you for your consideration and the fine work you guys do on this website.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Start here and download this it will if required repair the DirectX configuration.
As usual, on this trusted site disable your anti-virus as that can of course corrupt the download.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I ran the setup and it told me that a newer or equal version of directx was already installed and no further action was required

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go Start, right click My Computer, click Properties on the window that opens click Hardware, then click device manager.
Then click the view tab and click to show hidden devices.
Please post details of the warnings against which device and when you open that what is the message. You open it by double clicking on the entry.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am missing drivers on parport, audio device on High Definition Audio Bus, and Unknown device. I have the last two turned off because I can't find the right drivers for them, and I don't know what they are to start with.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
HOW TO WORK AROUND THE REQUIREMENT FOR THE XP CD on System File Checker
STEP 1.

Windows Protection Files are usually stored in:C:WINDOWS/System32/Dllcache
C: in most cases is the root drive...yours may be different...

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you...

click on... My Computer ... Tools .. Folder Options ... View ...
uncheck.... Hide protected operating system files....

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache.

STEP 2.

Your computer needs to know that you now have the necessary files on your PC. This is done by editing the registry. Here's how...type in regedit in the Run box on the start menu...

By navigating to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft /Windows/ CurrentVersion/ Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C: Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change to the drive letter of your root drive, probably C:

SEE SCREENSHOT and PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME and be careful that you have the right registry key.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 February 2011 - 09:51 AM.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
alright, completed those two steps

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - how did it run then.
SFC does not report a result, if all checked and repaired OK
Did it still ask for the CD

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
how do i run system file checker again? is it a program to download or is it installed in the computer?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry about that
I missed a line on the post
Go Start
Run
Type "sfc /scannow"
without quotes

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 February 2011 - 12:03 PM.

bolbod

bolbod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
just finished running, and it still asked for the xp cd. It said that files are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache.

Edited by bolbod, 06 February 2011 - 12:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Reboot the machine. Check that Hide Protected operating system files is still unchecked. You will actually see them in My Computer. So if they are there it is.
Check again please that Registry key is set on source path to C.
Run SFC again.

Go Windows update, check if any hardware updates are available on non critical.
ie: Custom updates.
If so download and install.
also of course check critical updates.
If you are on IE that is Safety button on lower menu bar and then Windows Update.
Reboot the machine.

Go start, run and type "cmd"
At the prompt type "chkdsk c: /f"
Agree to run on restart and so so.

Do not interrupt it please.
When that is done go
Control Panel, Administrative functions, event viewer, application on left pane and in the main window obtain the chkdsk results from winlogon.