Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replacing a headphone Jack

• Please log in to reply

geekster777

geekster777

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Asus g50vt-x5, and my sound is not working. I have figured out that it is due to my headphone jack being broken. I have a spare headphone jack that I can solder on, but I can't get the headphone jack out of my laptop. I opened it up, and it looks like it is in its own plastic box with 2 USB ports, and 2 other types of audio jacks. The plastic box seems inaccessible, and I want to know if I am either doing this wrong, or if I just have to get it professionally repaired.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Personally I don't have the guts to around soldering inside my laptop. You might want to take a look at an external soundcard like the following:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829102031

Just a thought...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I opened it up, and it looks like it is in its own plastic box with 2 USB ports, and 2 other types of audio jacks. The plastic box seems inaccessible, and I want to know if I am either doing this wrong, or if I just have to get it professionally repaired.

If you don't have an exact replacement part (or assembly) then you are doing it wrong. Many headpone jacks are really intelligent, multifunction jacks the sense what is plugged into them and reconfigures itself to that device. That is, if you plug a mic into it, it becomes a microphone "in" jack. Plug in headphones, it becomes an audio "out" jack. Soldering on a multilayerd motherboard can be pretty tricky and really should be done by a technician who has been properly trained and as the right tools and skillsets, and has probably done it a few dozen times.

Alternatively, you might look into a USB headset and use that instead.