Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Better wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello again!

My apologies if I've posted this already, my memory is somewhat overdosing on information right now. :D

The problem I'm having is this: I want to have a better Internet connection, since as you may have noticed by my posts, I am a avid gamer. However, the modem my family uses is in another room, thus the need for wireless connection. What I was wondering (meaning asking for advice from you guys/gals) is this:

Since I tend to use the computer more often than those who use the computer the modem is currently plugged into (which, needless to say, isn't used much and when it is, only for a short while and only on a Internet browser) should I move the modem to the other computer to gain better Internet?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to clarify first:

If you want better internet as in "faster internet", you can put it in any room you like and it won't make any difference whatsoever.
What you really want to do is get a better wireless signal. Which isn't going to solve anything.

Your best bet would be to either move your system closer to the router so you can run a network cable and from it, or consider some other form of networking such as Homeplug (http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/ for example) which, providing all the plugs go through the same fusebox/breaker (which is the cast for 99% of homes), will work. Router -> Network Cable -> Homeplug. On your machine: Network adapter -> cable -> second homeplug. That's all there is to it.