Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop having all kinds of trouble keeping a stable connection to my h

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I recently bought a new router, a Cisco Valet, for my home network. Well for the longest time now I have noticed a very poor connection on my laptop which is running Win7 64 bit. The signal strength is excellent and yet I constantly need to reload pages for them to load, others will not load at all. It does not matter which browser I use but I primarily use Chrome and the error message is always that the connection timed out or the server cannot be found at all. Every once in a while the connection will actually be lost or I will loose internet access and need to restart the wireless adapter on my laptop. I have brought my laptop elsewhere to see if it reacts the same and it acts just fine with no slowdown or other problems. Just in comparison my iPod connects to the same network and has absolutely no problems. It can watch videos on YoutTube, download apps in seconds, and surf the web without any problems. The same goes for my PS3, it runs just fine online with no problems. My home computer is connected to the internet via Ethernet through the router and doesn't have any problems. Needless to say I can't think of any solution. I would assume it would be malware but it only acts up on my home network and is then fine elsewhere. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

Sounds like it could be a gremlin in your laptop, either spyware, malware etc.

Other options :

Have you considered the fact that there could be other access points in the area broadcasting on the same channel as you ? If theres loads of people in a street all pumping out wireless signals, and the majority are broadcasting on Channel 6, and your broadcasting on channel 6 your leaving yourself open for problems. I would try changing the wireless channel your to perhaps channel 1, check to see what other access points are set to in your area, do a scan then select your router to the least used channel.

Another thing to consider is that certain things can effect a wireless signal. Maybe your wireless signal is being sucked away to nothing by something, there are certain materials that effect RF signals, Id google the materials and see if anything springs to mind like for instance, foil lined walls will destroy a wireless signal and wont let it go very far at all, that is just an example you need to look into it a bit more perhaps.

If you think its spyware or malware, Format is the way I would go, 0 your drive

Hope you get your problem gets fixed post any updates as I`m interested in what happens with it

Edited by chemicalbrother, 09 February 2011 - 01:11 PM.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thank you for your reply. I contacted Cisco support just late yesterday and as it turns out, all I needed was an update for the router and to change the channel of the network. Since then it has been running like a dream. Like I said I highly doubted it was being caused by spyware as it was only acting up on my home network and nowhere else. Anyways thanks again for your input, much appreciated.