Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1607 unable to install unstall shield scripting runtime

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
I was able I go to my computer and I found show all files however I could not find cwindoys installer

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
"I had already sent it in that link which you did report you had tried.
Pls DO follow my recommendations in the order shown. "

i a sory but i am not a computer programer and i am trying to follow your instructions however on your very first post that you gave me the link above number 1 i said i tried this and i did but it will not open.
in your first post number 3 you said that you would run a fullchkdsk what is this? for some one like me that does not work with computers this is greek to me.

on your second post i was able to complete half of your instructions through my computer however when i found show all hidden files and clicked ok you sais find c windows installer. i cannot find this where do i look.
when i clicked ok the boxed closed and i am left at the my computer page.

as far as in i am loged on as my account when i start my computer it will not boot all the way up until i install a password. then it will open all the way up.

i am alittle slow on the computer language however i can do allot of things. i have installed heat sink fans and hard drives just sometimes i do get cought up on some things like this that i dont get for a while.

thanks for trying to help me and if you have more ideas i will try them if i can understand them.

Edited by 40vern, 07 February 2011 - 09:00 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. I owe you an apology the instructions for allowing the Windows Installer folder to appear in Windows had a line missing - I have now amended them and the missing instruction is added it is "uncheck Hide Protected Operating system files".
That then will show you the Windows Installer folder.
You will realise that the copy and paste was from the Microsoft document I sent you the link to in my first post.

2. In respect of entering the password, in your last post. When you do so and then go to the Control Panel as in my previous post, is that account, the one you have signed on with shown as an admin account.

3. A full check disk is simply a reference to check for file errors and check for bad sectors on the hard drive.
DISK CHECK
There are a number of ways of running chkdsk in Windows.
1 Open My Computer, right click the HDD carrying Windows, click Properties
Click the Tools tab
Click Error Checking
Click Check Now
Click to check both boxes - automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
Click Start Agree to run on restart and do so.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk, doing so may well corrupt the file system, or at worse render the HDD useless.
If you cannot read the results, or have left the computer unattended to complete the check, then go Control Panel, Administrative functions, Event Viewer, Application and scroll down to the Winlogon entry. Double click that entry and you will see the results.

What was the reason for the fresh install in the first place.?

I am sorry you are having these difficulties, but what you really needed to do was to follow my FIRST post
in the order I sent it.
1. Go to the link read the Microsoft document and preferably I would have thought print it so that you had it in front of you.
2. Check you are logged on as admin - as I have explained.
3. Check the Installer service in Admin functions, services is not for some reason disabled
4. Run the full chkdsk and system file checker.
5. Depending on the chkdsk results - if bad sectors are found this tends to indicate a failing hard drive and is very likely the cause of the problems
6. Attempt to install the download of the Windows Installer.
7. If still no success THEN TRY all other solutions in the link.

I appreciate you have tried some of them but your reply to my first post suggested you had not followed it through.

i found number 4 that you listed. i tried to open the program thim morning however i cannot open it. i am going to try the other things that you listed and hopefully they will work.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 February 2011 - 08:52 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks for getting back with me.

on your first post that you gave me you listed a link first. i did try it from the begining and i had actually tried this before i started this forum but i could never get it to open.

finally late last night i got it to open.

i tried to do all that it ask and i even was able to do some of the othe things that you asked me to do however to me it seems like i am missing some files.

i can give you some examples on the link that you first gave me it asked me to download ikernelupdate.exe. when i did this i was given and error message tat sais widsows installer service could not be accessed. windows installer was not correctly installed.

also i was told to open setup.properties and when i did i did not have all the taps that the photo on the instructions had like security.

i did however learn how to go to explower and i did get to find cwindows stuff and i was able to go and check to see if i was sighned on and check the boxes that you asked me to check.

i am going to try the dick check now and see what happens.

i reinstalled the system becaus i did not know how to repain the system. this is just a notebook for surfing. i dont store good info in this.

when i reinstalled windows i cannot install the belkin wireless drivers.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
1. I owe you an apology the instructions for allowing the Windows Installer folder to appear in Windows had a line missing - I have now amended them and the missing instruction is added it is "uncheck Hide Protected Operating system files".
That then will show you the Windows Installer folder.

no you dont owe me and apoligy i really glad that you took the time to help. i an running the scan disk test now. i will let you know what happens.

when i put in the hard drive last year i had several issues however when i connected it to the net they all went away with updates and all. now i cannot connect because i cannot download the software,

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i was looking at my notes andi forgot to tell you that when you told me to go to c windows installer then installer then properties the box does not have a security tab. for this reason that i think that i am missing some files or programs.

Edited by 40vern, 08 February 2011 - 11:49 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I presume you are in normal mode and not safe mode.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i think that it is in safe mode for some reason i get some messages that say cannot run in safe mofe. i did not try and boot it in safe mofe. i have restarted it hundreds of times however for some reason i get this message.

the error message that i get the most now is windows installer service cannot be accessed.

i have been going through your instructions again looking to see if i have missed any thing.

i wonder if i need to go back to bios and see if it is booting from cd or hard drive?

i ran the dick can thing and it checked out ok.

i think that you are on to something hear about the safe mofe.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If it is in Safe Mode it will say Safe Mode in the four corners of the screen

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i see it is not saying safe mode i just get this error message sometimes when i try and install a program.

i did go to bios and selct boot from hard drive.

now when try to down load some of the programs that you gave me i get a error message rpc unanailable.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

get a error message rpc unanailable.

That is remote procedure call and many services including the installer service are dependant on it.

1. Is this a genuine XP installation or is it some copied disc.
2. If it is genuine is it activated and therefore passed windows genuine validation - presumably if you downloaded updates it is.
3. Have you run chkdsk.
4. Since installing XP have you used a registry cleaner
5. When windows is loaded go start, run and type "msconfig"
When that opens on the general tab is there a check mark in the circle by Normal startup

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i tried to run msconfig and i get an error message that sais windows cannot find msconfid.

i did run the chkdsk but it did not find any errors

also it is a clean install. i have the disk that i bought with all the registery numbers

i forgot i have not ran any registry cleaners.

Edited by 40vern, 08 February 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PLEASE DO NOT RUN A REGISTRY CLEANER, they are frequently the cause of this problem.

msconfid.

IT IS "msconfig" without quotes and typed in the run box, which is click start, click run and type msconfig and press OK.

If Windows reports it cannot find it, with all the other errors,you have I suggest you reinstall WIndows.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 February 2011 - 03:40 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
Ok. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks

Edited by 40vern, 08 February 2011 - 03:38 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
well i think that the note book is messed up this time more that i can repair.i chatted with hp for over an hour and they told me to reinstall windows. i did this again and it is still the same. i dont think that i can fix it this time. thanks for all your help.