Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1607 unable to install unstall shield scripting runtime

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well what occured on this install.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
basically the same thing with the same error messages.
i still get the 1607 message and when i try to download programs to repair them i get the messages about not having advinistrator rights.

i have gone over and over the info that you gave me and it looks like then i start going through them i can only get so far because things are missing.

i will give you an example

go to start

go to run

type regedit

go to hyey local machine software microsoft windowsnt currentversion winlogon specialaccounts userlist

when i click on userlist it sais look for administrator key

i dont see this

it then sais if you dont see this right click on above tree in the pane and choose new dword mane it administrator

i dont see the administrator key or the tree

this happens on all of the instructions that i get

i can get a good ways but then i cannot complete them.

thanks forall your help and your time but i am starting to wonder if this notebook is fixable

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Last attempt I am afraid
See the link

http://www.theelderg...-_graphic_1.htm

See the image by the side of this entry.
Installation is going to automatically assign a computer name in the Computer Name and Administrator Password screen. Once you see the name it chooses you'll be grateful it can be easily changed. The important part of this screen is the administrator password. All the begging and pleading in the world can't make you choose something that's hard to guess, but just remember that this one single choice you're making right now is the key into everything you hold near and dear (and private) in the world of computing. It's also essential you remember the password, even if you aren't a case sensitive type of guy/gal.

If you are on XP Home AND you did not create a user account with admin rights, then you log on to the inbuilt user account in Safe Mode. You then go to the Control Panel Users and Groups and create an Admin account. You then reboot and sign on in normal mode with that Admin account.

In XP Professional you can log on to the inbuilt user account with the Ctrl Alt Delete as previosuly described at the logon screen and do the same as above.

USERS WITHOUT admin rights cannot download updates alter permissions etc.
That may be why you have the problem.

HOWEVER that all said it is still EXTREMELY easy to see in Control Panel, Users and Groups if you are signed in on an admin account.

OTHER THAN THAT although you say the chkdsk complected without errors.
DOWNLOAD THIS - download the Seagate tools for Dos on another computer and RUN it on this computer.
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
IF the HDD fails this test then more than likely the drive is failing.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 06:14 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
please forgive me for wasting your time. i always feel bad when i realize that i have asked for help and some one tries to help me and then i realize that i did not need to help to start me. the problems that i was having was from my own stupidy.

i realized this morning that i was reinstalling windows the wrong way.

i reinstalled windows this morining and as soon as i got to me home screen i new that it was fixed. it just looked right.

one of the reasons that your solutions was not working was because i has so many files that were missing because of my errors.

even all the searching on the net i would follow their instructions and i could only get so far. like it would say to to this tab and i would not have that tab.

anyway it is online and downloading advast. after that i will start the updates.

this is just an old notebook that i never keep anything on i just use it in another room to keep from waking my family up when i get home late from work.

so anyway sory for this but i really do apreciate all your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

IT IS "msconfig" without quotes and typed in the run box, which is click start, click run and type msconfig and press OK.

If Windows reports it cannot find it, with all the other errors,you have I suggest you reinstall WIndows.

No problem - I came to that conclusion in post 28.
The main thing is that you have got it working.
Regards.
Macboatmaster

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
this is true. the only problem is that i was reinstalling it the same wrong way. now i understand what i was doing wrong. thanks agian

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please post what it was you were doing wrong.
THERE is absolutely one certainty in all of this - you will - whatever it was, not be the first and certainly not the last.
This will help others and me to check this when the situation arises again.
Good luck.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 February 2011 - 02:45 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
40vern

Whilst you were being helped HERE by me, it now transpires that you were also running another thread HERE
http://www.geekstogo...7-xp-want-boot/

on what appears to be the same issue, on the same computer, especially as both threads ended with

anyway it is online and downloading advast.

Running two threads on the same matter is NEVER a good idea. Advice offered on one, may contradict or produce undesirable results when added to advice offered on the other.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
all i can say is i am sorry if i miss lead anyone. on the first trend i started was because the notebook would not boot. rshaffer61 helped me and he last posted on 2\2\11. i was still having issues however the issue about not booting was solves.

i waited for about 24 hours and then i started this trend on the error messages that i was getting.

at no time did anyone respond on the first trend because all the work was on the second.

on the second trend all the help was on error messages not with the computer not booting.

as soon as i got the notebook working again the only i posted on the first topic was to go and tell rshaffer61 thanks. i the past year or so he has talked me into doing just about everything from removing Microsoft messenger to installing hard drives. i always have allot of respect for his patience and his help.

sorry if i mislead you but too i do appreciate all your advice and thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The important thing is that it is resolved from what I see. :D
40vern I appreciate your kind words and I always enjoy assisting you as you seem to be genuinely interested in the steps we take.
Mac you did a great job and the resolution all though may nto be what we hope for in the end the OP is satisfied. :D :)
Mac you are correct in informing the OP of the potential problems with having more then one topic opened at the same time on the same system. 40vern has been very good about finishing his topics at least with me and I don't believe it was done with any malicious intent.

The important question is the issue or issues now resolved and if you can 40vern please explain how you resolved it so that others in the future will know how to resolve the issue.
Thank you both for being here and helping others. :) :D :D ;)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
40vern
I echo everything "rshaffer61" has said.
Especially - pleased it is sorted and I also asked you to post on my post 37- for the benefit of others - what your mistake was, when installing.
Good luck with it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 February 2011 - 10:51 AM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Please post what it was you were doing wrong.
THERE is absolutely one certainty in all of this - you will - whatever it was, not be the first and certainly not the last.
This will help others and me to check this when the situation arises again.
Good luck.

sory i did not see this post or i would have answered it sooner.

the wondows xp operating system that i bought comes with 3 disk and no instructions what so ever.

disk 1 and disk 2 are red and the third is silver.

disk 1 when i started the notebook installes most of the operating system.

as i am installing the system the computer will ask for you to insert the second disk.

all this is very easy however at one point it will ask for you to install service pack 2. this is where i think that i was making the misteak. i have no disk labled service pack 2. none of the disk are labled. just disk 1 and disk 2 and the third well i still do not have a clue what it is for.

anyway when i was asked for service pack 2 i wouldjust select cancel because i dont have this disk. for this reason i think that when i would follow all the instructions that i was given i could get so far and when i was asked to go to security tab for example i would not have a sercuity tab.

maybe this is the reason i did not have all the folders is because i did not install the service pact 2

so the last time i installed the first disk then when i was asked for the second disk i installed it, then when it asked for service pack 2 i just installed the first disk again and let the instillation complete.

from about thursday night untill about 11am yesterday i think that i have installed the system about 4 times that takes about 3 hours each try. i also have spent about 10 hours looking on the net along with reading old post on this sight.

i have also spent many many hours going over and over the instructions posted on the two topics that i started along with printing about 150 pages of instructions.

so with me starting 2 topics with the same computer to me does not seem to be something bad because you never responded to the first also to me with the notebook not booting then it started booting and having the 1607 error seems to me that it would help people more by keeping the 2 topics seperate. but then again i dont do this for a living i just use them for enjoyment.

i did go to great lengths trying to be grateful for all the help and for that i am very thankful, but i kinda dont want to look like i was trying to pull something when i was not. if i had not gone almost a day with no responce i would not have started the second.

like i said in those 24 hours i had spent so much time doing my own research and printing so many pages and went so long with out sleep reinstalling windows so many times i though if i started the second topic i would get some help and instantally you started repling.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i did go to great lengths trying to be grateful for all the help and for that i am very thankful, but i kinda dont want to look like i was trying to pull something when i was not.

We don't think you were trying to get over on anyone.

if i had not gone almost a day with no responce i would not have started the second.

Please understand that we are all volunteers and though I spend more time here then alot of people I cannot be here all the time. I apologize but at times I need to take a break and there may be a extended period when we are not here. It is not uncommon to go a day or more without a response. This does not mean we have forgotten you but only that real life has to take priority. In my defense the last two weeks i have been having some serious health issues which kept me away from my system and a lot of other activities. Again I apologize but normally I do try to answer all my topics everyday if need be.
Most of us do handle several topics at one time and there does come a time when we may get engulfed in one from time to time.
I am glad you stuck with us and hope we have been able to help you in some manner or another.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

i did go to great lengths trying to be grateful for all the help and for that i am very thankful, but i kinda dont want to look like i was trying to pull something when i was not.

We don't think you were trying to get over on anyone.

if i had not gone almost a day with no responce i would not have started the second.

Please understand that we are all volunteers and though I spend more time here then alot of people I cannot be here all the time. I apologize but at times I need to take a break and there may be a extended period when we are not here. It is not uncommon to go a day or more without a response. This does not mean we have forgotten you but only that real life has to take priority. In my defense the last two weeks i have been having some serious health issues which kept me away from my system and a lot of other activities. Again I apologize but normally I do try to answer all my topics everyday if need be.
Most of us do handle several topics at one time and there does come a time when we may get engulfed in one from time to time.
I am glad you stuck with us and hope we have been able to help you in some manner or another.

my fried you never have to explain your self to me. the problem is with me. i am so goal oriented that i want wait long for some to help because i want to get things done too fast. sometime i am my worst enemy. but alos sometimes this helps me to achieve allot of goals. it is too easy to just pay someone to do something, i always like to look for answers and do them my self.

i am very sory that you are having health issues and i will keep you in my prayers. hope that in not bad for me to say that.

the information that you can find on the net is amaizing. you can almost do anything with the help you can get.

i have always gotten the best help on this sight especially since i have never taken a computer class.

anyway i think that everyone at times may say the wrong thing from time to time if i have done this i am very sory,

again i do say thanks and please take care of yourself. i know that their are more people that you know that are blessed for all the poeple who come hear and give of their free time just to help. thanks agian

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you 40vern and to you also Mac.
I believe we can consider this issue resolved and I want to say to Mac you have done a great job here.
If there are no more questions then Congratulations. :D for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed Macboatmaster to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. ;) :D
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible