Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect connect to internet on laptops

• Please log in to reply

jjjenniferbbb

jjjenniferbbb

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Not sure really where to start here but a few days ago I had to disconnect the router for a while and now we are unable to get a connection on either laptops in the house through the router. I thought it was a problem with the internet service so I called Verizon and quickly found out that there was no problem when I connect the modem straight to the laptops to connect. I have tried 3 different modems in the house and neither computer will connect to the internet. I have tried restarting, unplugging modems, hitting reset buttons. We wheren't having any issues until I disconnected the router for a couple hours. My router is either a Linksys WRT160N or WRT54GS depening on which I wanted to use. I know for sure 2 of them should be good, working routers but I just cannot figure this one out.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Usually when you disconnect a wireless router, it may 'reset' itself to the factory default wireless channel and wireless security key.

This means any changes you made to either of those two will be lost & you need to go back into your router's configuration pages (web browser pages)
to set them back how you had them before.

The default wireless channel on some routers is set too low for a reliable connection and many users alter this to higher number between 8 & 12.
Many users also change the default wireless key to one of their own choosing for greater security.

If the router has reset itself to the default wireless key, the existing wireless profiles in your two laptops will no longer be valid, hence they cannot connect.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 February 2011 - 06:44 AM.