Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup loop BSOD code 0000007E

• Please log in to reply

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
HP Pavilion Laptop was in a restart loop and would not get past the windows xp screen without restarting. Used F8 and selected "disable automatic startup on failure" and was finally able to see the BSOD code 0000007E, The machine will not boot into safe mode at all. I have checked multiple blogs but none had solutions that I can use (most say delete drivers or windows updates, I can't get into the system to delete anything).

I had worked on this machine 3 weeks ago, it had malware that was keeping it from connecting to the internet, all of the malware was removed an internet was restored.

Need help with this one

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Do you have the full BSOD with the parameters. etc.

Also poat full model details of the laptop and service no if applicable

The main causes of that STOP error are
1. Faulty driver or hardware
2. Memory fault
3. Insufficient free space on hard drive - CAN WE IGNORE this factor?
4. It can be caused by the use of registry cleaners or an infection
but without further details of the full error it is a bit of a guess as to how to go.
See this
http://msdn.microsof...239(VS.85).aspx

My advice now would be
1. A diskcheck to ensure we do not have a faiing hard drive
2. If it will run MEMTEST to check the ram.
3. If Puppy will boot this will also effectively verify your hardware and you can copy the minidump file to analyse it. That of course will require you to make Puppy

OR
If they will run the HP diagnostics and then a soft recovery if the laptop is so equipped OR you have the recovery software provided with the laptop
OR
the last and most desperate a restore from the recovery partition - if of course it is still there as installed when the laptop was new.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 12:36 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Stop: 0x00000007E (0xc00000005,0x852f8630,0xf79797e4,0xf79794e0)

Hp Pavilon DV5000 s/n CND33009x0 p/n EP411UA#ABA

is this all the info you need

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On that product number is actually the 5020 which would of course be part of the 5000 series.
http://h10025.www1.h...n&lang=en&cc=us

May I suggest you go here.
Have a look at the manual on a PDF doc and establish the procedure for a diagnostics and the reocvery procedure.
You may also consider if you DO NOT have them ordering a set of recovery discs, IF the recovery procedure on the partition does NOT work
They are relatively cheap and I just have a feeling that you may need them. - I DO NOT MEAN TOM ORDER NOW

Do you have ANY CD`s provided with this laptop and if so which please.
CAN we discount point 3 in post 2.

Do you wish a program for recovery console and see if we can a chkdsk to run.

Apart from what I already knew I can get no further with that STOP code.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 01:29 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've tried the recovery console, tried to run chkdsk /r but it gets to 57% and freezes

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Download Seatools for dos, it will run on any hard drive
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

It has of course no chkdsk facilities as in windows it simply checks the HDD for health status

I have asked you twice, but you have not answered

3. Insufficient free space on hard drive - CAN WE IGNORE this factor?

CAN we discount point 3 in post 2.

ARE you certain you have enough free space on this drive the 57% freeze is very indicative of lack of free space.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
The laptop belongs to a friend and since I can't get it to boot up, i can't tell how much space it has. Ran Chkdsk /p and it completed finding errors on the drive, will not let me complete chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is no chkdsk /f in recovery console.
it is replaced by chkdsk /p.
chkdsk /r includes /p and an attempted recovery of data from bad sectors.

Run Seatools

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 02:38 PM.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
from personal expiriance if your system does need to be reinstalled i would highly recoment NOT using the included recovery disks and instead getting a new RETAIL copy of your prefered OS because the recovery disks often come streamlined with the same bloatware and wonky system configurations that most people hate about prebuilt computers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
ON NO ACCOUNT USE THE ITEM IN POST NINE

It is dangerous and unwanted program.#

See this.
http://www.mywot.com...ixerrorhelp.com

Magic Computers
I strongly advise against the posting of such programs

THE POSTS HAVE BEEN EDITED so MY REFERENCE TO POST NINE - is NOT to the current post NINE

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 04:26 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

from personal expiriance if your system does need to be reinstalled i would highly recoment NOT using the included recovery disks and instead getting a new RETAIL copy of your prefered OS because the recovery disks often come streamlined with the same bloatware and wonky system configurations that most people hate about prebuilt computers.

That is to a certain extent true - the bloatware, albeit most of it can be very easily uninstalled.
However a rather drastic measure at this stage, especially bearing in mind the cost of your recommendation, compared with the relatively small cost of the software from HP.

Additionally depending on what the preferred operating system is - he would need to assure himself that it could be run - especially if Windows7

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 February 2011 - 03:51 PM.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've pulled the Haardrive and attached it to another laptop, I'm able to view all of the files on the drive now. I am scanning for malware and viruses, after which i will try the drive again in its original computer. If it still does not boo i will reatach it to the second laptop and copy all files, then zero the drive and put on a new OS

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK
Good luck.
Just to be on the save side, in view of that chkdsk /r freeze in Recovery Console I would, presuming you saw the free space when you accessed it, if that was OK run a scan to ensure yourself the HDD is not failing.

Steve DeVore

Steve DeVore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
earlier i ran a software called "saveme" (http://saveme.danfischbach.com/) the program checked for errors and runs spybot search and destroy. I removed a few pieces of malware but there still may have been some not detected by spybot (there's no way to update current definitions in saveme. The drive connected to another ;aptop with no issue and so far a few malare programs have been found by microsoft security essentials and it is still scanning.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i was keeping my prefered os and aquiring a retail copy rather vague so i wouldn;t end up getting in yet another argument with mods about the site policy and microsoft's rediculously overthought eula that noone reads and they seldom enforce to the letter

Edited by mikeloeven, 07 February 2011 - 04:41 PM.