Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK error preventing start up indefinitely!

• Please log in to reply

helppls

helppls

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear all,

I am using a Windows XP(Home edition), Pentium 4 HT, 80GB HDD...

My computer runs the CHKDSK up to stage 2 of 3 and at 0%, proceeds to unspecified error and just hangs there. Most of the time, "..."(three dots) follow behind the msg and occasionally "....."(five dots).

When i attempt to skip CHKDSK, the skip initiates and hangs there.

All other options like starting with all types of Safemode ends up with a multitude of commands flashed over the screen and just hangs there.

I have tried leaving my computer on for at least 2 days for both CHKDSK Stage 2 of 3 (with unspecified error) and CHKDSK skipped but to no avail.

Please help me identify the problem and also the solution.

Greatly appreciate it.

Advertisements

helppls

helppls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If more details are needed, I will do my best to supplement.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello helpps.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, ;)
:D :D

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Please explain this a little more in detail. Are you saying you get a black screen with lots of lines going by all starting with the same line and ending with a different driver being loaded?
If so what is the last line it stops at?

All other options like starting with all types of Safemode ends up with a multitude of commands flashed over the screen and just hangs there.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
actually his description of the problem is fairly clear the computer starts trying to run checkdisk on startup. it will get partway through than hang. the user than tried to start the machine in safe mode to discover that it was unbootable.

some basic diagnostic steps you can take to get information on what is actually wrong with the disk in the event of any suspected problem.

first of all put your ear to the disk and see if it is making any unusual sounds most of the time if checkdisk gets partway through and than stops it means it encountered a unrecoverable dataloss and is just too stubborn to get over it and move on to the next sector. seeing if it is making any unusual noises like randomly ticking loudly or a high pitched whine that differs than the normal humm usually indicated a problem with the internal armature the high pitched whine means usually the head is at somepoint contacting the physical platter or the bearings in the motor are failing.

also try mounting the drive on a second computer as an external and running somthing like seatools or other disk diagnostic.

if you dont have a disk utility you can try to pull the S.M.A.R.T status and see if the drives internal firmware test notices any indications of failure

since the computer wont boot and chkdsk seems to freeze or fail it looks like if your lucky a logical problem with your filesystem. of course since windows apearantly loads far enough to execute chkdisk this is most likley not the case or said program would have run through and repaired the isue

if your unlucky it could be damage to the disk it'sself at which point you want to connect it to an external computer and dump whatever data you need to save before the drive completely goes dead.

these are the worst case scenarios but you realy wont know anything till you get some disk diagnostic run on this thing that doesent die like a sissy when it hits a big bad dead sector.

best case scenario is you kicked the tower or jostled the ribbon cable loose and the problems are the result of a simple short or bad connection

looking at the system stats of pentium 4 with a 80 gig drive most likley IDE the computer is fairly old so it is not surprising that the hdd would be reaching the end of it's natural life

Edited by mikeloeven, 07 February 2011 - 05:01 PM.

helppls

helppls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wrong reply, ignore, I don't know how to delete.

Edited by helppls, 08 February 2011 - 08:58 AM.

helppls

helppls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello helpps.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, ;)
:D :D

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.

• Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Please explain this a little more in detail. Are you saying you get a black screen with lots of lines going by all starting with the same line and ending with a different driver being loaded?
If so what is the last line it stops at?

With regards to this, all other options tried includes Safe mode; Safe mode with Networking; Safe mode with Command Prompt; Last known Good Configuration and Start Window Normally.

All Safe mode options ended up with command messages as follows(I will be showing the first and last line where the Safe mode halts):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32Drivers\isapnp.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32DRIVERS\agp440.sys

Drivers and sys appears in Capital letters for some commands.

Also, along the loading of the safemode, Esc SPTD.sys was prompted, I tried pressing it and also ignoring it but both end up hanging.

helppls

helppls

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Some fresh updates of the situation:

A few hours ago, I decided to use a vacuum to clean off a visibly thick layer of dust at the side ventilating holes and the rear fans' vents of the CPU casing before switching on the power in attempt to boot my comp.

When it proceeded to the CHKDSK for the first time, it stopped at around 61% of Stage 1 of 3 and paused awhile before "rebooting" with the power button litted up but no signal on the monitor. A "forced shut down" was initiated by me next.

2nd time: It cleared stage 1 of 3 and got stuck at the usual stage 2 of 3 and again "rebooted" with exactly the same results(i.e. no signal detected by monitor though comp is on).

3rd time: I skipped the CHKDSK and again, it hung for awhile and "rebooted" with the same effect.

These tries lasted for the first, estimated 20 min.

Then the comp went back to the behavior as mentioned at the start of this thread(i.e. hang without the "rebooting" effect). I have also verified the safe mode options, all just end up hung! as mentioned.

Hope these details can help with identifying the problem and the solution more.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
delete me

Edited by mikeloeven, 12 February 2011 - 11:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.