Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server 2000

• Please log in to reply

Cpyder

Cpyder

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not sure if I am posting in the right place, but did not see anywhere for server.

I am not very fluent with Server, and I explained this to the person I am trying to help.

I have 2 nics, 1 internal ip and external ip withy ICS. It was working fine for about 2 months.... than one day RAS would not start. I already did all the fixed and work arounds that Microsoft had posted for the event ids, none having any success.

The internal network works fine and the server gets internet. However the machines on the internal ips do not get internet.... but they are communicating with the server. She has Exhange installed as well and that still works fine, sending and receiving.

I tried to reinstal service pack 4 but it says it cannot find cmd.exe. (which still runs) but for some reason server cannot "see" the file. I can connect with one of the other machines to the server and see the file fine. But it seems to be invisible when at the server. Symantec 10 is installed and has been ran... it only found infected files in the email folders. Removed them fine.

--Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before and what the fix might be.
I am just avoiding having to reinstall server. I did not do the initial setup so I am trying to understand somebody elses mess.

--Is exchange embedded into Server 200 small business? If not then its a whole seperate install, I hate setting up MX and A addresses.

--Would doing a restore all the settings? In exchange as well?

Thanks in advance.
Josh

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
first things first, stop using RAS. it's the ryan leaf of routing services. tell your friend to hit up the boss for a couple of bills to get a legitimate router. if this is not an option:
are the tcp/ip settings on the client rigs set to dynamic or static...is dhcp enabled? run ipconfig on one of the clients and see what comes up

Cpyder

Cpyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK.. disabled RAS...

Yes, DHCP was enabled and working.. just the ICS was not.
The external is a static. and the internal is the private 192.168.0.1 auto assigned because of the ICS. The clients are set up for auto config... only now the DHCS is not kick anymore.

For info, the internal is connected to a switch and all the clients (all 3 of em) are connected to a switch. When I first got here the server only had one nic connected to a dlink broadband router which was connected into the dsl dialer... this setup never worked, which is why I redid it with the ICS.

I am going to rstart the server and see if there is any change.

Cpyder

Cpyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
?

Well, I am having a friend of mine who knows more than I go with me... I will post back any finding... if anything, this thread might help someone else.