Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot or displays blue screen

• Please log in to reply

andressa

andressa

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
So, I've posted this on the hardware forum last week or so:

"Hello, my mom just called me this morning to take a look at her PC which is not working.
When the power button is pressed, lights come on and the fans start but most of the times nothing else happens.
Once or twice, I hear the usual beep and boots, displaying the security screen. When I selected to start windows normally, it started, loaded and then I got a blue screen, the one that says that changes were made and that the computer stopped working to prevent damage.. This is a fairly old computer and nothing was changed. Taking a look inside I saw the chipset fan wasnt working. Could this be the problem?
What can I do to solve it?
Motherboard model is MSI MS-7125, the chipset fan has an AMD logo on. I'm running windows 7.
Let me know if more info is needed.
Thanks for the help! :D "

I took to a repair shop and they ran a hardware test and said that was not the problem, that it was a SOFTWARE problem. They wanna charge $85+tx to fix this and said the data would be intact. Unfortunately I do not have money to spare at the time so I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand with this.
Thank you SO much! <3

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Do you mean the CPU fan wasn't working?
If so, and if it's not been working for some time, the CPU will overheat and cause the system to crash.

So I don't know why you were told that's not the problem when it clearly is at least part of the problem.

If it's some other fan that wasn't working, that would still cause other components to overheat, with the same result.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
They did test and it's NOT the chipset fan. I have extra fans on the CPU and the technician saw that it wasnt overheating and that was a software problem.
I was able to run on Safe mode for all night while I was backing up the data and this morning I tried to run normal and it did and then crashed. I am thinking it could be a program from the startup.
Now I am trying to go back to safe mode and the screen just stays black. Whenever it starts correctly, I hear a beep and everything works. When I press the power button and everything powers up but there's NO BEEP, I know nothing will show up at the screen.
I have no clue what could be causing this. Even if it IS a hardware problem, there must be a software problem as well.
Help?

Edit: I was thinking. Could it be the video card??

Edited by andressa, 08 February 2011 - 10:11 PM.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Could they be wrong and BE the chipset fan not working to cause that?
When it does turn on (with the beep) I cannot reset it right away. If I do, I dont hear the beep and the screen remains black. But if I wait an hour or so, I can turn it on again, will hear the beep and it will load.
If it was a software problem, shouldnt it load work with the installation CD or a boot CD form Windows??

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
If I were you, I would try to leave the computer off for a couple hours, try to boot it back up into safe mode and run a program called HWMonitor. You can download the program from here: http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

You might want to run safe mode with networking so you can download it when in safe mode. After that, leave the computer on for a bit, and watch the CPU Temperature, if it starts to go above 45 degrees, it's starting to overheat. Also make sure all the voltages are around what they should be.

EDIT: There is a link on the right side of that website to download the latest release

Edited by Log2, 09 February 2011 - 05:04 PM.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
So here's what's happening now:
I've tried booting form CD, running the AVG rescue CD and nothing works when I dont hear the beep.
If I try and dont hear the beep, I just leave it alone for an hour or so and try again and it usually works.
The guy from the repair shop said this is a software problem, but I seriously think he's wrong. I algo got a blue screen once 0x00000124, but I dont think that's related.
Help please? We use this computer to help a not-for-profit org :D
I will try what was said above tomorrow as soon as it turns on again! :D
Thanks for the help!

Edited by andressa, 09 February 2011 - 11:06 PM.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
FML... Now I am having a CMOS checksum error. There's a little button on my MOBO that I think I pushed accidentally..
From the manual:

The motherboard provides the following button for you to set the computer’s
function. This section will explain how to change your motherboard’s function through
the use of button.
Button
Clear CMOS Button: SW1
There is a CMOS RAM on board that has a power supply from external battery
to keep the system configuration data. With the CMOS RAM, the system can automatically
boot OS every time it is turned on. If you want to clear the system
configuration, use the SW1 (Clear CMOS Button ) to clear data. Press the button in
the middle of the connector top side to clear the data.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. I was finally able to get to BIOS and fixed it.
Still trying to install the program. After I find out if it is heating or not, I still have to find out what's causing it to crash when it loads.

Oh, btw, I went back to the guy who said there was no hardware problems and said it might be overheating and he said he probably didnt leave it running long enough!!!!!

Again, THANK YOU to all who tries to help. It's a BIG thing! :D

Edited by andressa, 10 February 2011 - 09:20 PM.

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
haha that's a good reason not to go back to that computer shop :D haha keep us updated :D

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hahah, right? Anyway, still having problems.. Now I cant even get to windows... Sometimes it hangs on the AMD logo screen, others on post... Yesterday I even manage to get to choose safe mode and when it was about to load windows, I get out friend, the black screen!
So now I'm stuck again. guess I'll have to take it to a repair shop unless someone knows what to do! D:
Help! (again!)

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ok, because it's freezing at intermittent periods, it seems to be a hardware issue, most likely overheating. Try starting the computer with the case open and see if the processor fans are running.

If they are not, your heatsink and fan need to be replaced. If they are, try removing the heatsink, put some thermal paste on the processor, clean the heatsink, and reseat it.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've been running it with the case open all along and the fans are working, only the chipset fan is not working. All this time I thought this wasnt the problems because smart repair guy there told me it wasnt overheating.
I dont know anymore. I might just take it to a repair shop but sometimes it seems they know less than me (and I dont know much!) and are always trying to rip you off. We dont have any money right now but we need that computer.. =/

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
oh, haha, ok well that actually just happened to me with my last motherboard.. I was cleaning the mobo and the chipset heatsink came off and I couldn't get it back on properly, because they use a different type of thermal paste or something, eitherway, it kept overheating and I ended up just replacing it with a cheap motherboard till I could get a better machine put together. So my solution for that was to buy a new mobo, you might be able to get away with replacing the fan itself if the chipset isn't damaged irreparably.

andressa

andressa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yeah, i guess that's what I'm gonna do and hope it's still okay. I will take it to a repair shop because that's cheap and I dont have to go hunting for the right fan. Smart guy form repair shop said it would be around 25 bucks.
Wish me luck!

Log2

Log2

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
haha alright, good luck, and well keep us updated, makes it easier to help people in the future!