Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 2010 and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

littlecheda

littlecheda

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I use a Dell at work with Windows 7, the computer came with Microsoft Office Home and Student already installed, it being the trial version it expired after so many days. Well to make a long story short, some one that acted like they knew what they were doing, and it wasn't me, entered the key code for the Microsoft Professional. The program locked up, I could not use any of the components of Micrsoft. After several calls to Dell and Microsoft, the latter finally reissued a new program, BUT I can't uninstall the original Microsoft Program. From the control panel I go to uninstall click on Microsoft Office, click uninstall, and then that is as far as it goes. I 've tried to manual uninstall, the program acts like it's locked or protected and won't let me uninstall it. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Try starting Windows in Safe Mode & uninstalling from there.

littlecheda

littlecheda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've tried that. I went into "Safe Mode" again and tried to uninstall all Microsoft Components, and each one came up with the pop up window, "Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed. This can occur if the Window Installer is not correctly installed. Contact support personnel for assistance." How can I go about fixing that?

Edited by littlecheda, 08 February 2011 - 10:57 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I've tried that. I went into "Safe Mode" again and tried to uninstall all Microsoft Components, and each one came up with the pop up window, "Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed. This can occur if the Window Installer is not correctly installed. Contact support personnel for assistance." How can I go about fixing that?

You don't. That's normal in Safe Mode.

This is what you want, and run it in normal mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

littlecheda

littlecheda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried that, but still won't uninstall. I think I am just going to have to wait for our computer guy to come through. Thanks for trying to help.