Black screen with blinking cursor
Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:55 PM
Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:03 AM
If not, it's probably dead. (All hard drives will die. They're mechanical, with moving parts, moving parts wear out ...).
If it is listed in the BIOS, try this:
- Boot the computer from a borrowed Windows XP CD. (Same version that's installed on your hard drive).
- When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.
Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
- Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
- Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
- Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
How to perform a re-install of WinXP
WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users