Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Black screen with blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I was recently browsing on my computer when I got the horrifying BSOD. I then restarted it, and got a blinking cursor on a black screen. It is a gateway laptop with about 600mb of ram I believe. I already went into PHOENIX BIOS and rearranged the boot setup so that the DVD/CD ROM is at the top, followed by the HDD. Even this did not garner a response, and F8 does not give me an option for advanced setup, and my only choices are F2 for Bios or F10 for the Boot menu. I do not have an original installation disk, as it was given to me as a gift, and it had a previous owner or two. Is there anything I can do to fix this, other than losing all my files? Thank you in advance!

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,740 posts
Is your hard drive listed in the CMOS/BIOS Setup?

If not, it's probably dead. (All hard drives will die. They're mechanical, with moving parts, moving parts wear out ...).

If it is listed in the BIOS, try this:

• Boot the computer from a borrowed Windows XP CD. (Same version that's installed on your hard drive).
  • When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen press [Enter] to start the Windows Setup.

Note: Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
  • Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
  • Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and then press [R] to start the repair. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
  • Do not press any key to boot from CD if and when such a message appears. Setup will then continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

How to perform a re-install of WinXP

Repair XP
http://www.webtree.c...Existing Setup:

WinXP Non-destructive Total Rebuild