Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Check Signal Cable"; adapter problem

• Please log in to reply

Alina M.

Alina M.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

My monitor cable has VGA connector, but video card has only DVI. So I bought an adapter (I guess that's what it is called). It looks like this:
Posted Image

When I connect monitor and video card, I get "Check Signal Cable".

The cable of the monitor is fine, because it works when connected to internal graphics card. So I guess the adapter is making problems. It is a DVI-A to VGA adapter. The monitor is analog (Samsung SyncMaster 940nw). Is the adapter the right one, or maybe I need DVI-D to VGA or DVI-I to VGA?

And the video card is working all right, I connected it some time ago to another computer without problems (to a monitor which supports analog and also digital signal, and with a DVI cable).

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The adapter must match the DVI spec of the graphics/video card. This can be determined by examining the layout of the pins on the DVI connector on the card.
DVI-A only supports an analog signal, but since the the card is putting out a digital signal nothing is getting to the monitor.

The card will either be DVI-I or DVI-D as here: http://www.lindy.co....s/DVIGuide.html

Alina M.

Alina M.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked the pins on both video card connector and the adapter, and they are the same after all: both DVI-I Dual link.
So everything should work.

Tomorrow I will try uninstalling the driver for internal graphics and disabling internal adapter (or whatever it's called) through device manager.

Thanks for help, anyway. :D