Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LSPFix run problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

coastalcruiser

coastalcruiser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I've just downloaded LSPFix on my Windows 7 machine, but when I try to run it, I get an error message that says 'Winsock 2 Registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Winsock2\Parameters) is missing or could not be accessed.
How do I get around this problem?

Advertisements

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Hi,

We don't use LSPFix that often in the forums anymore, other programs can take care of LSP entries. Why are you trying to use it?

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

coastalcruiser

coastalcruiser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can I download this on a separate machine, save it to a USB stick and then run it on the machine that needs sorting out? It's my partner's machine, and it seems to have acquired a number of different AV, spyware & other nasties loaded onto it, and I'm trying to clear them all out as they have started preventing access to the internet, and I think are also slowing the whole thing down. I saw a string on the forum that suggested that LSPFix would get out the parts that normal uninstall programs miss, so thought it would be the best tool for the job!

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
That tool is is only for specific types of infections. Please run OTL from above. You can copy it over to a flash, just make sure you can save the logs it produces to your flash drive so you can post them here. Run the tool below on your clean computer to prevent a flash drive infection so you can safely use it on your infected computer.

On your clean computer download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you run it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

mitch8

mitch8

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,356 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.