Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best way of Transferring Everything To New PC ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I just bought New Dell PC with following Specs :

64 bit Windows -7 ( Home Premium )

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

12GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory

500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

1GB ATI Radeon? HD5770 Graphics

My old PC also has 500 GB HDD with Data

I want to remove the Win 7 Home Premium from new PC & Install Win -7 Ultimate 64 bit on new HDD.

Then Transfer data from old HDD to New HDD.

What is the best way of doing it ?

Do I need to fool around with Bios etc because the New PC has come with Win -7 Home Premium but I want to Install Win -7 Ultimate.

Also waht is the best way of Transferring data from old HDD to New HDD ?

Thank You.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
No need to change any BIOS settings just for a different version of Windows as the BIOS is for hardware recognition and configuration only.

Just go ahead & install Win7 Ultimate on new hard drive, but make sure you have access to any Dell-specific drivers that the Win7 DVD doesn't have.
This may mean getting them from the Dell website if Dell didn't supply a driver CD with the new machine. Dell hardware typically requires custom-made drivers which can only be obtained from Dell.

The data from the old drive: Fit the old drive inside your new PC if there's a spare bay for it, or buy an external enclosure for it which hooks up to a USB port on the new PC.