Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus motherboard, no display/beeps

• Please log in to reply

Richard1487

Richard1487

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought some components:
CS-CUPID-2 - Aplus CUPID-2 Mini-ITX Aluminium Slim Case, Black/Silver, All-in-1 Card Reader with 90W PSU
Asus AT5NM10-I Intel NM10 Integrated Intel Atom D510 CPU (1.6GHz) Motherboard
Corsair Memory Value Select 2GB DDR2 PC2-4300 (533) Dual Channel Desktop RAM

Connecting just the RAM, motherboard, PSU and a VGA monitor results in nothing happening when I power on (the light on the motherboard is on, and if I remove the RAM then the PC speaker beeps, so the power seems to be properly connected.)

I have tried:
Removing the motherboard from the case
Removing the CMOS battery for ~30 seconds
Connecting to a different monitor (both monitors and VGA cables have been tested on another computer)
Connecting the motherboard to a different power supply (can't remember the model, but it's > 500W)
Removing and replacing all connected wires.

If anyone has any suggestion for what I should try next, I'd appreciate it a lot :-)

Edit:
I've now also tried using a PCI graphics card, without success.

Edited by Richard1487, 09 February 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sounds like a problem with the RAM

POST (Beep you hear) - This is the POWER ON SELF TEST. Your PC isn`t POSTING with RAM plugged in, when you unplug the RAM the PC POSTS.

Try single sticks of RAM if your trying more than one stick, you may find that your pc boots with one of the sticks but not the other. Faulty RAM is RMA back to manufacturer nothing else you can do with it I`m afraid if its faulty

Richard1487

Richard1487

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah, you're right - it was the RAM. I had 2 sticks, and I'd tried both on their own and together, but it turns out that they were both broken, borrowed some from a friend and it worked :D thank you