Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMSS.exe - High CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

realitybend

realitybend

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On my windows 7 Pro Dell Vostro 1720 laptop, I'm using Process Explorer to take a look at CPU usage when my computer randomly starts bogging down during the day. This slowdown seems to last the rest of the day when it happens. It says "System" is using up 50+ percent of my processing power, and the only process in that category is smss.exe.

Anyone know what's happening?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.jpg

Advertisements

stef_petit

stef_petit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello realitybend,

On this page you will find more information. http://www.neuber.co...s/smss.exe.html
Important sentence on this page: The smss.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, smss.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

The meaning of the process smss.exe:

This is the session manager subsystem, which is responsible for starting the user session. This process is initiated by the main system thread and is responsible for various activities, including launching the Winlogon and Win32 (Csrss.exe) processes, and setting system variables. After it has launched these processes, it waits for either Winlogon or Csrss to end. If this happens normally, the system shuts down; if it happens unexpectedly, Smss.exe causes the system to stop responding (hang).

Maybe you can run Malwarebytes anti-Malware, but if it realy is a virus, you can better go here

I hope this information helped you and that you don't have a trojan or a worm.

Greetings,
Stef

Edited by stef_petit, 24 February 2011 - 10:49 AM.