Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Runtime error

• Please log in to reply

dubloosh

dubloosh

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm using a refurbished pc that's been running like a charm until today. When I tried to open a page in IE6 the page didn't open; instead I saw a box that said Runtime Error and pure virtual function call 6025. I run Registry Mechanic and anti-virus software daily, and I'm not sure what happened. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I run Registry Mechanic

A very bad idea

Please accept my advice, in case you are not certain it is correct -
HOWEVER to try and convince you and for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this thread and thinking of using a registry cleaner -
There is generally speaking no such thing as a TRUSTED registry fix.
See this:
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

and this
After running 'PC registry Cleaner' on my laptop with Win7professional I now cannot access windows explorer [returns a no association message] and some programs will not install.

And there is the proof in the pudding that Registry Cleaners do more damage than they solve.

OR THIS - on a brand new computer
Registry Errors in brand new PC
Scanning Report
Total scan items: 296239
Total errors found: 132
High risk error count: 12
Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0
5 Add/Remove Programs
0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files
10 Custom Controls
43 Deep Registry Scan
0 Device Drivers
20 File Extensions
0 Help and Resource, & History Lists
6 Invalid ActiveX
42 Invalild Files Path
and here is the reply from a very experienced Geek-with ack to "gerryf"

"You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"
What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors"

and I Macboatmaster would add that the errors found by these programs are far too frequently not errors, but the deletion of the registry key by the program, causes REAL errors, insofar as the deleted key corrupts the registry due to the inter-association of multiple keys amongst the hundreds of entries in the registry.

Registry Structure: The Tree, Nodes and Keys
The data is stored in the registry in a tree structure format, for those who have never opened the Registry Editor, you'd find its layout is similar to what you would see when you open your Windows Explorer. Each node within the registry tree contains a key which may have both subkeys and data entries (called values). Depending on the application you run, the application may need only the associated key while others may need the value data set for that specific key. A hive in the registry is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data. The Windows boot process automatically retrieves data from these supporting files.

AND my attempt to explain it in simple terms - therein lies the problem with the so-called registry cleaner/optimizer programs. the program decides what is not needed and can be deleted. However, frequently the inter-dependance of the various branches of the tree are not recognised by the program AND this is where it goes horribly wrong.

That all said, it is YOUR computer - the decision is yours.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To deal with the actual problem.
System Restore is your first move. - to the first available date before the problem - eg. Two days ago or whatever date is available nearest to that

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 08:08 PM.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

To deal with the actual problem.
System Restore is your first move. - to the first available date before the problem - eg. Two days ago or whatever date is available nearest to that

Thank you for both replies, and duly noted re Registry Mechanic. Yikes! I ran System Restore twice with different dates, and it said no changes were made to my computer. The problem is still there, and I'm stymied.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please post all that has been tried.
It will be so much easier than establishing, this post by post.

You have IE6.
Do this.
To remove all the temporary Internet-related files from your computer when you use Internet Explorer 6, follow these steps:
  • Start Internet Explorer.
  • On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
  • Click Delete Files, and then click OK.
  • Click Delete Cookies, and then click OK.
  • Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes.
  • Click OK.
See how it is now.

IE6 is outdated, offers poor security and poor facilities compared with the current IE8 for XP.
HOWEVER TRY IE7 first.

If you can then get a connection Install IE7
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

If you still have the problem download this to another computer and then from CD or flash pen copy to this computer and install.
Do not forget to disable anti-virus when downloading from this trusted site, as they frequently interfere with the download and when installing on yours.
REMEMBER of course to re-enable.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 February 2011 - 09:48 PM.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Please post all that has been tried.
It will be so much easier than establishing, this post by post.

You have IE6.
Do this.
To remove all the temporary Internet-related files from your computer when you use Internet Explorer 6, follow these steps:

• Click the General tab.
  • Under Temporary Internet files, click Settings.
  • Click Delete Files, and then click OK.
  • Click Delete Cookies, and then click OK.
  • Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes.
  • Click OK.
See how it is now.

IE6 is outdated, offers poor security and poor facilities compared with the current IE8 for XP.
HOWEVER TRY IE7 first.

If you can then get a connection Install IE7
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

If you still have the problem download this to another computer and then from CD or flash pen copy to this computer and install.
Do not forget to disable anti-virus when downloading from this trusted site, as they frequently interfere with the download and when installing on yours.
REMEMBER of course to re-enable.

Thanks again. I cleared the history, cache, ran System Restore numerous times with different restore points, and the Microsoft update will be IE 8. Bad luck with IE 7 makes me leery of updating, thus I'm using Mozilla and have no problem with any site. I wonder if the site that won't load - and that shows the error - has a script interfering? It's a news home page, and every day the graphics change so maybe this will be OK tomorrow.

BTW I have Service Pack 2 and not 3 (the refurb came with a demo disk for SP2). Time for a new machine with Windows 7 pretty soon!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

and the Microsoft update will be IE 8. Bad luck with IE 7 makes me leery of updating

The automatic update offered WILL be IE8, but I sent you the link for IE7.

Also, please do not send my post back as a quote each time unless there is something you particularly wish to draw attention to.

Do you realize that each time you run system restore you have lost everything that was installed, documents prepared etc. after that restore point. It cannot then be retrieved.

Go start, programs , accessories, system tools and there you will find Start IE no add-ons, start from there and when IE opens DO NOT choose any of the offered options simply continue to that site.

If that does not work start IE normally and do this
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Click to select the Disable script debugging check box.
  • Click to clear the Display a notification about every script error check box.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.. Restart the computer
  • HOW IS IT NOW
If it is OK this is really only a way of getting rid of that message and the real answer is:-
Install SP3, it will very likely solve this problem. ALSO and most importantly support for XP SP2 finished in July last year and you will not be offered any security updates. of which eight or so were sent just a couple of days ago.
It may well be a Microsoft Visual C component that is required
This may very well be included or installed after SP3.

and to update that IE

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 February 2011 - 08:39 AM.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks again!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please let me know how things are re the last post by me - after you have tried my first two suggestions.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi and thank you again for your help. neither worked so I'm going to have someone do a clean install of XP Service Pack 3, which might help the IE issue.

also need new key caps however that's another thread. not sure how to remove the key cap to see what kind of retainer clip is underneath.

thanks again.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You may find this useful
http://www.laptopkey.../searchKey.aspx

I have done it a couple of times, the difficult part is finding the correct replacement.

Start with all the pieces. Examine them carefully. Note where the tiny tabs are on them. Arrange them correctly according to the diagram. Posted Image STEP 2
Note the orientations of the tabs on the U-shaped piece, and slip the tabs under the metal loops on the laptop. Posted Image like this : Posted Image STEP 3
Slip the second O-shaped piece through the centre of the U-piece Posted Image STEP 4
and hook the tabs on the O-piece under the hooks on the laptop, like this: Posted Image STEP 5
Slip the second O-shaped piece through the centre of the U-piece Posted Image At this point, the two pieces are gently locked together. If done correctly, they will NOT sit flat. They will be raised slightly above the laptop surface, thus: Posted Image STEP 7
Place the key right side up over the U and O pieces Posted Image STEP 8
Place the key right side up over the U and O pieces Posted Image and click it into place: Posted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 03:49 PM.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks again. I do appreciate your help. the site doesn't list D520 models however I'll find out and then order.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The critical aspect is the hinge clip.
Generally speaking after that the key is not necessarily specific to the model.
See this
http://www.machinael...l_Latitude_D520

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 February 2011 - 05:36 PM.

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The critical aspect is the hinge clip.
Generally speaking after that the key is not ne3cessarily specific to the model.
See this
http://www.machinael...l_Latitude_D520

located it - thank you again :D

dubloosh

dubloosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks so much for your help! I installed SP 3 and IE 8, and there's no more error. the only thing I cannot do is customize buttons on IE 8 toolbar however the basic ones are there, and I'll live. wonder why not however . . .

Janie