Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

N routers

• Please log in to reply

dairyboy

dairyboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a barn about 500 yards from my house. I can't get a wireless signal for my laptop there. Someone told me to get a N router to boost the signal. Will this work? What kind of N router do I need?

Advertisements

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
you might you might want to put booster antenna out side house

chemicalbrother

chemicalbrother

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
N will give you 860 feet range if there isn`t too much in between like walls.

G will give you half this at about 400 feet. You have more chance reaching your barn with a usable signal from the N router. But it still could be out of range, it depends whats in between, if theres 3 or 4 walls then a large court yard area or something you really may struggle. Only way to tell is to a) buy the router see if it gives a usable signal (you may be disappointed you may not, totally depends on a lot of different factors when it comes to wireless even the weather. b) Get an IT company to do a wireless site survey if you can find one at a reasonable price. That way you would know for sure what the best solutions is for your situation.

The other way to do it if it is out of range of an N network is to have point to point ariels. One on the house pointing straight at the barn, another antenna picks up the signal and you get a solid signal, as long as you have line of site I believe you could get up to half a mile using that method as long as the antennas can see each other without anything in between !