Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to create system image (netbook)

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
hello everyone. i already asked this here but i think i didnt explain myself very well so no one can help me. so now i will try to make myself clear as i can. this is what i want to do. i want to create a system image of my netbook. i used macrium reflect to backup my system image to my external drive. we know that if time that i will need to recover it i need to use rescue cd to bootup and restore my backup image. my problem is mine is a netbook it doesnt have cd drive. through reading and searching i discover that rescue cd of macrium reflect is an iso file. so i got this software unetbootin to burn my iso file to my usb pendrive. but when i try to boot it on my pendrive it says:
could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

i dont know what to do. after that boot: there is a blinking cursor where i can type. should i type something here? or burning macrium reflect rescue iso file to usb pendrive is not possible?

pls help me to find a solution.

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
For future reference it is always advised to describe what pc or netbook you are working with so those who reply have a better idea of what it is you are trying to do and what it is you are trying to do it with.

Having said that, you mentioned in chat that this is an Hp Mini 10. Did you mean an HP Mini 110? If so the manual for the 110 describes the procedure quite well. You need to download a file from HP to create your bootable USB media. Your manual can be found here. Read pages 79-90, or better yet, read the whole thing.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Leury . yes its hp mini 110 and i checked the manual of it before asking here. My problem is that i got this netbook a year ago where at that time im too ignorant to delete everything that im not familiar or im aware of. It has roxio BackOnTrack to create system image but i uninstalled it before because i thought its not important and i dont have idea about creating system image before. thanks for the reply

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
This may or may not help, but of course I'm hoping it will.

I have the Acer ONE Netbook and doing a backup is a whole lot harder than it would be on a desktop, with CD drive and room for a second or third HD.
OK....
I've been using Ghost 2003 for my backup program, like forever and I've always run it from a boot floppy. The HP USB formatting program likes to get its boot files from a floppy disk, (which I still have and use) so it's a quick job to make a bootable USB Flash Drive with all my Ghost backup stuff on it.

If you don't have a PC with a floppy disk drive on it, or you don't have access to one, the HP program will be happy if you just have the three DOS boot files, that it takes to boot a PC, somewhere that it can find them.
Those three files are available from several different sources on the internet.
PM me if you can't find them. Although almost any version of DOS will work, I much prefer the DOS files from Windows ME. (Please don't ask!)

Then where to put the backup image file of my C: drive??? A USB external HD is the answer to that. So I boot up my Netbook with my bootable Ghost Flash Drive and run the backup "Partition to Image" designating the USB External drive as the Target for the Image File.
I love my little Netbook, but its lack of floppy drive and CD drive definitely makes life a little more complicated.
For just a Quickie backup I use the second partition on my internal HD, that I created shortly after getting the little PC. I just can't live with a HD with only one partition...it's akin to living in a one room house.

A bootable USB flash drive is great for backup programs that are too big to fit on a floppy disk, and there's always plenty of room left over for various Utilities. So, for my Ghost bootable flash drive, I've upgraded to Ghost 11.5, which won't fit on a floppy.
It will also back up and restore both Vista and Windows 7, which Ghost 2003 can't do.

Good Luck Mate!
The Shadow :D

Edited by TheShadowFL, 10 February 2011 - 05:37 PM.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey TheShadowFL thanks for the reply and for trying to help me. I already solved my problem and i already did the backup and created rescue disc on my usb successfully. all the steps i took is almost correct except that unetbootin ive downloaded is a different version. ive search and finally found the right one. Thanks to all.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
When working with a pc one of the best places to look for support is the manufacturer's website. Although searching the HP Mini 100 at HP returns results for 158 products (Mini 100 being a Series number rather than a Model number) if you check you will find that the software that comes with a pc will usually be available for download. In your case, should you want to reinstall the Roxio BackOnTrack 3 Recovery Manager you can find it here (as an example) along with the rest of the drivers and utilities after first determining the correct Model number from that Series. In your situation I would do this and create the backup using the proprietary (HP's) software so you can be sure that if you ever need it it will in fact work.