Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I get a black screen when I start my computer

• Please log in to reply

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"Go to event viewer
Clcik the application heading on the left pane.
On the main window scroll down from the top until you come to Winlogon.
Double click that entry
It maybe the chkdsk results.
If it is not continue down to the next winlogon" i did all this. i did not find any chkdsk event. it would have repaired any bad sectors
"Then when you find them - were there any bad sectors and apart from an entry for minor file inconsistencies what did it report please."

Edited by Femme Fatale, 12 February 2011 - 09:42 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

i did all this. i did not find any chkdsk event. it would have repaired any bad sectors

You are mistaken in your belief that chkdsk /r or ANY other chkdsk REPAIRS bad sectors. BAD sectors CANNOT be repaired. All that happens is that chkdsk attempts to recover the data from the bad sector and rewrite it to another sector..

However I owe you an apology, it was in winlogon but I forgot that in Vista it is wininit in windows logs.
To see the Chkdsk log follow these steps:

Open The Event Log...
Control Panel (Classic View) -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer (3rd choice)

The ChkDsk Log is found in....
Windows Logs (2nd choice on left) -> Application (1st sub-choice)

About half way down the list of logs, look for the item Wininit in the source column. This will contain the log data for the ChkDsk scan prior to the boot. You may have to check down the entries to find the actual chkdsk results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 February 2011 - 11:09 AM.

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This is what it said.

0 bad file records processed.

correcting errors in the master file tables [mft] BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

http://technet.micro...952(WS.10).aspx

Event ID 1001 — Windows Startup Availability

Updated: November 30, 2007

Applies To: Windows Server 2008
green

Windows startup availability checks whether the system is able access the boot sector on the system disk. This boot sector, which can be managed either by the basic input/output system (BIOS) or Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), then loads the rest of the boot blocks. The boot sector loads the Windows Boot Manager, which accesses the Boot Configuration Data store and uses the information to run all of the processes and services required to start the operating system after the computer is switched on.
Event Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1001
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Version: 6.0
Symbolic Name: EVENT_AUTOCHK_DATA
Resolve

This is a normal condition. No further action is required.

I think vista SP1 caused my problem. I think it caused something to corrupt.

Edited by Femme Fatale, 12 February 2011 - 09:46 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have the Vista CD
If so try this
1. Startup repair
2. System restore to a date before this problem started.
http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

Caution if these two do NOT work the next option will not be available unless you have a backup installed.

The next option command prompt - leave until advice is given unless you know what to do.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2011 - 07:16 AM.

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i already did a Startup repair and System restore before i posted this thread.

i think my problem is from installing SP1. i think it corrupted something. i vaguely remember having this problem before.

thank you for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sure you will appreciate that on a matter such as this where the problem only occurs every so often, finding the cause and the solution is more difficult than when the problem is ALWAYS apparent.

You said there were no warnings on device manager.
Please go there again and CHECK again including on the view tab show hidden devices
Look for any yellow or red warning by the side of the entry.
Here is the link of how to get there.
http://pcsupport.abo...opendmvista.htm

Please download this and run it, it is perfectly safe and will edit your startup items, leaving only what is necessary. It may be that it is a sratup item that is causing this problem
http://www.malwareby...startuplite.php

If that is negative then go to this link please and work your way through INCLUDING any updates, not only CRITICAL but any for hardware.
The link is titled better performance but that is slightly misleading as it covers far more than that.

Please try and explore all parts of the link.

http://windows.micro...ter-performance

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 February 2011 - 04:37 PM.

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
You said there were no warnings on device manager.
Please go there again and CHECK again including on the view tab show hidden devices
Look for any yellow or red warning by the side of the entry.
Here is the link of how to get there.
http://pcsupport.abo...opendmvista.htmthis checked ok.

Please download this and run it, it is perfectly safe and will edit your startup items, leaving only what is necessary. It may be that it is a sratup item that is causing this problem
http://www.malwareby...startuplite.php this turned off 2 applications

If that is negative then go to this link please and work your way through INCLUDING any updates, not only CRITICAL but any for hardware.
The link is titled better performance but that is slightly misleading as it covers far more than that.

Please try and explore all parts of the link.

http://windows.micro...ter-performance i used the disk clean up. it showed that there are 42 GB of temporary files on my computer. but it did not include them in the clean up.

i adjusted the visual effects for better performance.

thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

i used the disk clean up. it showed that there are 42 GB of temporary files on my computer. but it did not include them in the clean up.

It will if you simply check the box by the side of that entry.

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It will if you simply check the box by the side of that entry.

yea. but i'm afraid that i may be deleting something important.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

it showed that there are 42 GB of temporary files on my computer. but it did not include them in the clean up.

YOU posted as above
I told you to check the box by the side of that entry.
You did not post that you had not included these files as you were unsure that it would be safe to do so.

YOU then reply

yea. but i'm afraid that i may be deleting something important.

If there was a chance that this was not safe I would not have told you to do it.

As you are unwilling to follow my advice, and that is of course your decision, as it is your computer, I have decided to end my involvement in this thread.
Nevertheless - my good wishes that you are able to resolve the issue and if as appears you DO NOT HAVE Service Pack 2 which was released in June 2009 - you should have.
Maybe someone else will pick the thread up.

Advertisements

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
"As you are unwilling to follow my advice, and that is of course your decision, as it is your computer, I have decided to end my involvement in this thread." i will delete them. Thanks for your help. I was afraid to delete those files because when i clicked clean disk, the box was not checked like the others.

Edited by Femme Fatale, 14 February 2011 - 05:20 PM.

Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i already have Service Pack 2.