Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spontaneous reboot, bugcheck in eventvwr. Related to tcpip.sys?

• Please log in to reply

Muscato

Muscato

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,
I'm attaching my minidump to this post.
I have an HP Pavilion desktop (forgot the model... I'm at work. If it's important, I can get it). It reboots spontaneously every 1 - 4 hours. Event viewer references "bugcheck" and I get a new Minidump every time.

Here are the specs:
Windows XP Home
2.1GHz proc
768 RAM
100GB HD

Runs Quickbooks, MSSE, VNC for remote access. None of these programs have been changed, so I don't think they are causing the problem.
The computer has a history of spyware and viruses. I imagine one of them has not been properly removed, or a system file is corrupt, or a rogue driver or setting remains - but I can't figure out any more.

I've run MBAM (found nothing), ComboFix (nothing), MSSE (dozens of infected files, mostly in System Restore files), Avast (nothing), Spybot (nothing), Memtest (no errors). When I try to run the built-in HP diagnostics, I get an error message (some security file in %systemroot is missing or corrupt). Not sure if this means anything.

Disabled System Restore, Hibernation and set pagefile size to 0.

I've disabled every startup item in MSCONFIG including Win.ini and System.ini, disconnected the printer, replaced the power supply, RAM, keyboard and mouse. I've run it at home with an entirely different set of peripherals. I've chkdksk /f and sfc with no notable results. It is plugged into a battery backup; plugging straight into any wall outlet makes no difference.

I've removed the error-state non-plug-and-play network devices in devmgr (thanks for the tip in another post). Updated video card, network card and sound drivers. Didn't help.

Still, the machine spontaneously reboots with a "bugcheck" at random intervals. I left it on overnight running MSSE, prime95, and Tombstone's Video Card Stress Test... no reboots there. But the next day, it rebooted every 1 - 4 hours.

...help!

Attached Files

Edited by Muscato, 10 February 2011 - 10:06 AM.

Advertisements