Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pc locks up (complete freeze)

• Please log in to reply

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well i have an old pc from 2003, but its still fairly good. it has a 2.7ghz processor and i have 1 gb of ram. for a not used much not gaming computer its alright. BUT, it started to lock up. Once it freezes, nothing can unfreeze it but the power button or the reset button. i dont think its a sofware issue as it even freezes when loading boot discs sometimes, but mainly freezes when starting new processes. I have tried different ram sticks, they all read properly but it still froze, ive tried swapping hard drives also and the problem still persists when trying load a boot via cd.. if you have any ideas on what to try or what the problem could be throw em at me! thanks a lot!

Edited by Better_Than_Justin, 10 February 2011 - 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Things to check:

1- Download the ISO image of MEMTEST86 and burn it on a cd then boot from it to verify your ram sticks (only one at a time) if all pass change the ram slots to verify if it is not the slot that is the problem and not the sticks themselves.

2- Download the utility program from the manufacturer of your HD burn it on a cd and boot from it to check if it is your HD that is starting to fail.

Other things to check: Check that your IDE or SATA cable are properly connected to the motherboard and to the HD and not loose and change them if nothing else works.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thank you so much! Ill try that and let you know what happens.

Better_Than_Justin

Better_Than_Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well the first thing i did was check all my cables. all of them were securely attached. While inside the case i also used a compressed air computer cleaner to remove dust from all inside the case. I then downloaded memtest86 and burned the iso file, booted the cd, and the computer froze as normal anywhere from 4-30 seconds into the test. i tried swapping the ram stick into the other port to make sure it wasnt a bad ram port, and the promlem still occured. did i mention it has the same problem when i use another HD that i know works properly? Any other advice would really be loved, and thanks again to alzehimer for sharing his thoughts!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Will it boot and operate properly in safe mode?