Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion dv1000

• Please log in to reply

Motox4fun

Motox4fun

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a HP Pavillion dv1000 that I can only use with an external monitor... If i look real hard I can barely and i do mean barely see an icon or two on the laptop screen. What is the problem and how do i fix it?
Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That typically means the inverter has failed. The parts are typically from $50 to $150 and it takes a qualified person no more than 2 hours labor to fix.

Motox4fun

Motox4fun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been torn between it being either the inverter or possibly the backlight... The inverter is a much easier fix so what do u think, should I just go ahead and buy an inverter and change it or is there a way to tell for sure which one it is before I spend the money on parts???

Thanks for the advice!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Usually if it is the backlight, it goes completely. If the inverter, sometimes you can tell by shining a flashlight into the monitor and look closely at the screen and see if you can see the image.

Motox4fun

Motox4fun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's definitly the inverter... I shined a flashlight at the screen and I could see everything... I ordered an inverter off EBay for $7.99 so hopefully by this time next week it will be fixed...
Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Motox4fun, 12 February 2011 - 08:30 AM.