Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Portable Firefox

• Please log in to reply

Sixpack

Sixpack

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently had a dilemma: I was stuck on somebody else' computer for 2 weeks. I was lost without my Mozilla Firefox, my bookmarks and auto-logins that I had set up over a period of months. I didn't/couldn't install my info on the next system, which was Vista where mine are all XP Pro (fully customized of course).

I got the idea to use an old thumb drive I have which is 1 GB (plenty of room for my purpose). I decided to try it without mounting it like a hard drive, even though I know there is free software available for that purpose, but I'm not trying to set up an independent operating system here. I went to my favorite laptop and copied the Mozilla folder from my programs folder onto the thumb drive. I also like Free Download Manager, so I copied that folder from my programs folder to the thumb drive too.

I then took my thumb drive and stuck it into the next computer. I navigated to the firefox.exe and double-clicked it to open it. It took two tries, but Firefox finally opened in all it's glory---my bookmarks, saved logins and customizations unfurled as well! Everything saved to the Mozilla folder, which went with me when I removed the thumb drive. Of course I saved everything on the thumb drive as well, but the best thing is that my logins and browsing history went with my thumb drive as well. I'm typing this from my portable firefox app right now, and I can tell you I couldn't be happier! Even my FDM was set to auto-save to the thumb drive, so everything is all in one place. I've tried this out on three different computers so far---an XP Home, a Vista Home and a Windows Se7en and each has worked flawlessly so far.

I'll never have to hand type URLS again! I don't care what the next computer has on it--- I'll bring my own favorites!

I just thought I'd share this with anyone else who has to use another computer and struggle with URLs and lots of different logins.

Advertisements

Sixpack

Sixpack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i've been using my portable firefox for several days now, it has kept my new logins and bookmarks, leaves no footprints that I can find on the host computer, etc, so I think this works as far as I'm concerned.