Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adjusting memory

• Please log in to reply

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
i did add a d drive it has alot of space perhaps i should put everything on that and just keep xp on c drive or even better yet get windows seven?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can move the data over but the programs won't work that easy to just move them over.
If you want to do that it would be better to install the programs to the other drive after backing up the data from each program.
Then uninstall the program and reinstall it on the other drive. Then copy the data back to the newly installed program.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
sounds a bit complicated i have actually had this dell for 8 years no major complaints other than couple virus problems and the memory going out a week ago maybe its time to upgrade to windows seven i took all my pictures and real important files and put them on a external drive alot of the stuff on here is windows updates patches ect. takes up alot of room

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

maybe its time to upgrade to windows seven

A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

You could do a format and fresh install which would put you back to what the system was brand new if you use the recovery disk that should have come with it.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
yea i might just format i was looking around this morning there are files and crap scattered all over this computer i guess wich is easy to do when its this old and my three kids use it as well i know the one windows folder has 5 gb of files in it i think all from updates and patches

Edited by jamiemad1, 12 February 2011 - 02:50 PM.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
thanks again for all your help the comp seems to be running pretty good now no hang ups or anything gona take your advise and upgrade here pretty soon when i get the extra cash your always very helpful keep up the good work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hd's have come way down in price and you can pick up a 80 gig IDE hd for 80USD now almost anywhere like this one HERE at TigerDirect.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
thanks again i posted my other problem ( the weird file in start up ) in other forum still waiting for help hopefully its nothing

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To clear off more space on the drive there are a couple things you can still do.

1. Reduce the amount used for restore from the standard 10% to say 5 - 7%
2. Clear off all but the last restore point.

Then you can run defrag and see what you get.

To reduce the amount.
Click on start and then right click on my computer.
Go to properties.
Click on system restore tab
Click on settings.
Adjust the slider.

To clear all but the last restore point.
Go to start.
Open up my computer.
Right click on C drive and go to properties.
Click on the general tab
Click on disk cleanup.
When it finishes click on more options tab
Click on cleanup under system restore section.
Answer yes to the question.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
wow that cleared almost 2 gb thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job 123Runner ;) :D :D
What does your total free space look like now?
Try rerunning Auslogics Defrag now and see what happens.

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
did a defrag a little better this time 42% on that scan vs original 48% 4.26 gb free

Edited by jamiemad1, 13 February 2011 - 01:42 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok it seems we have taken it as far as we can then with the size of the drive. It is important now that you maintain the temp files and defrag at least once a week till you can purchase a new drive with more room. I believe a 80 gig will do you fine considering you are use to a 29 gig drive. It should give you plenty of room to work with. When you have the drive then we will need to image your existing drive or use something like Ghost or HDClone to move everything over so you don't lose anything. :D

jamiemad1

jamiemad1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
ok great thanks so much for all your help ill let you know when i upgrade my drive you guys are great

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and glad we could help. Please let us know when you are ready to clone your drive over.
Congratulations for at least resolving this part of your issue.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you and for choosing GTG for help.