Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Files Still Hidden despite show hidden files

• Please log in to reply

ell

ell

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I have some files in Windows Downloaded Programme Files folder (90 Files) which I cant see even with show hidden files selected in windows explorer? How can i access these files?

If I type the address of one of the files in the address bar in windows explorer it offers me the chance to download it from downloaded program files. I can download them to another folder but they still remain in downloaded program files?
How can i see them so that i can delete them?

thanks for your help
Ell :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, programmes, accessories, system tools, disk clean up, run it then click downloaded programme files then view files

Edited by Keith, 27 May 2005 - 09:41 PM.

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks

I tried that, the only files that show are active x controls for the online scans I`ve done. I dont understand it!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I just looked in Windows folder on 98SE machine and that only has active X.

How do you know there are 90

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did an online virus scan (RAV) it found a trojan in one of the files and said it had scanned 90 files in the folder.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it tell you what the files are or just give a number?

Try another scan

http://www.pandasoft...com/activescan/

Did RAV get rid of the Trojan

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

RAV and Panda both identified the file as suspicious so didnt remove it. When RAV scanned I could see it scan through the list of files in the folder, all different file names but it goes too fast to catch the names.
I have posted this problem in the malware forum. I posted the hidden files problem here because i thought it was a windows problem. Maybe you could reply on the malware forum to save repeating things.
Sorry for the trouble
Ell

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem at all, the important thing is to remove the virus / trojan, hopefully it is responsible for the 90 files figure.

Thank you for letting me know the malware section are dealing with this

Edited by Keith, 28 May 2005 - 03:57 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are there any files you want to save in the folder you're talking about? If not, use Spybot's Tools>File Shredder in the Advance mode and just drag the folder icon into the File Shredder window or hover the mouse over the task bar at the bottom where Spybot is and as soon as the window opens drop the folder in.

You may are may not see Spybot showing any files in window from this folder, but click the shred button anyway. Anything in the folder is going to be gone and to make sure, run your scans again on the folder.

Ron

ell

ell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
At last the files are gone! I could see the list of files with spybot shredder and was able to delete it. Still dont understand why I couldnt see them in windows explorer but never mind.
Thank you soooo much everyone!
:tazz: